Academic Department Highlights
Agriculture and Ag Education are programs within the School of Professional Studies.
- 100% job placement for Ag. Ed. graduates
- NW Ag. interns are offered full-time, industry positions upon graduation
- Ag. degrees are very versatile, leading to careers ranging from banking to real estate
- Starting salaries average over $40,000 for Ag. graduates
- All faculty have working experience in production agriculture
- Blake Kennedy (2019) American Star in Agribusiness
- Bridger Anderson (2019) College National Finals Rodeo (CNFR) Steer Wrestling Champion
- Taylor Munsell (2019) CNFR Breakaway Roping Champion
- Dr. Mindi Clark (2017) Significant Woman in OK Agriculture by the OK Dept. of Ag, Food & Forestry and OSU
The Division of Business is within the School of Professional Studies.
- Nationally accredited - Fewer than 1 in 4 business programs worldwide hold this accreditation
- 100% of full-time accounting faculty hold CPA credentials
- Most full-time faculty are engaged in personal business ventures such as: farming, ranching, manufacturing, accounting services, and more
- Business internships available in management, marketing, accounting and general business
- Learn from, and network with, successful regional business owners at the annual Entrepreneur Seminar
- Opportunities to participate in competition events, such as the Love’s Cup, and the Oklahoma Statewide Student Ethics Challenge
- Gain knowledge and skills in multiple areas including broadcast, print journalism, and strategic communication
- Use industry standard equipment and software in our on-campus studios and newsroom
- Complete internships that offer additional learning experiences and opportunities to network
- Enjoy supportive relationships with faculty and peers
- Work one-on-one with faculty and in group settings with peers
- Apply for participation and/or memorial scholarships specifically for students active in the mass communication program and student media
- Work for our student media in paid student positions
The Division of Education is within the School of Professional Studies.
- Graduates highly sought by school districts in Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas, because they are well-prepared to meet the needs of PK-12 students
- “Signing bonuses” available in some school districts upon signing a contract to teach in the shortage areas of special education, math and science
- All faculty members at NWOSU have PK-12 experience in the areas in which they are teaching
- Numerous opportunities for students to connect courses with experiences in PK-12 classrooms
- Teachers Closet provides opportunities for NWOSU students to have access to professional clothing for interviews & on-site classroom teaching at no cost
English, Foreign Language & Humanities
English, Foreign Language & Humanities is within the School of Arts and Sciences.
- 80% English & English Education graduates have full-time jobs in their chosen field within 3 months of graduation.
- 15% of graduates choose to pursue graduate studies.
- All graduates are gainfully employed within 6 months of completing their degree.
- The department hosts the Visiting Writer event every spring, bringing diverse Oklahoma authors to NWOSU.
- The first location/university department to host a Writing Marathon in the state of Oklahoma.
- Dr. Kathryn Lane won the John Sheffield Outstanding Teaching Award in 2015.
Fine Arts is within the School of Arts and Sciences.
- Open to all students regardless of major, and participation scholarships are available up to $2,000
- No conflict policy for students involved in more disciplines within the Fine Arts
- 100% music education teacher placement
- Band options include: Marching, Symphony, Concert, and Jazz
- Choral and vocal ensembles work with nationally renowned artists through workshops, collaborations and festivals
- Choirs tour internationally at least once every 4 years
- Annual musical with open auditions for all majors
- 4 Main Stage theatre productions, 56 annual concerts and presentations per year
- Active participation in the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival
- Artist-in-Residency Program brings emerging and established artists from diverse backgrounds to live and create artwork at NWOSU
- Opportunities to exhibit artwork at the Graceful Arts Center, the historic Runnymede Hotel, and other supportive businesses in downtown Alva
Health & Sports Science Education
Health & Sports Science Education is within the School of Professional Studies.
- 100% job placement for teacher education program for physical education
- Merit based scholarships available only to Health and Sports Science majors
- Receive individual student attention and assistance
- 3 degree options: Health and Physical Education Teaching degree (grades Pre-K-12); Non-teaching Health and Sports Science degree (major or minor); and Health and Fitness Management degree
- We prepare students with the skills and knowledge necessary to enable them to contribute to healthy lifestyles
- Career path options include becoming a teacher, coach, personal trainer, fitness professional, physical therapist, and more
Library & Information Science
The Library & Information Science minor program is within the School of Arts and Sciences.
- Access to more than 90 article, newspaper and eBook databases.
- These resources can be accessed
- while off-campus
- J.W. Martin Library houses more than 90,000 books, more than 23,000 journals, 5,500 microfilm, and maintains an archive with more than 500 items
- J.W. Martin Library accommodated almost 50,000 students, faculty, staff, alumni, and members of the Northwestern community in 2019
- Offers a 21-credit hour Library and Information Science Minor program
Math & Computer Science
Math is a program within the School of Arts and Sciences.
- A degree in mathematics provides students with strong critical thinking and problem solving skills that apply to a variety of careers
- Students can major or minor in mathematics and mathematics education
- Math education students can work
- as a student instructor in a remedial or 1000 level classroom along with faculty
- Pre-engineering students can take math and science classes at NWOSU
- Because of a national shortage of math teachers, 100% of our recent grads found teaching jobs
Computer Science is a program within the School of Arts and Sciences.
- Courses offered include programming, database, networking, computer forensics, game development, robotics, operating systems, and website and app development
- Bill & Billie Buckles Computer Science Robotics lab provides high-end computers, a 3D printer, and a robotics build lab
- Students interested in gaming, game development, and game programming also utilize this lab
- Students have placed 1st through 3rd for the last 7 years at the Heartland Gaming Exposition in Tulsa
- Students also participate in Gaming LiveStreams, other gaming events and conferences
Natural Science is within the School of Arts and Sciences.
- Prepare for a career in medicine, engineering, research, high school science teaching, industry, and more
- Experience science firsthand with small class sizes and well-equipped labs
- Excel in academics with options available in pre-professional areas to include pre-health and pre-engineering
- Participate in undergraduate research and present at professional conferences
- Become involved in several K-12 STEM outreach programs
- Earn awards with over $20,000 in departmental scholarships for continuing science majors each year
The Division of Nursing is within the School of Professional Studies.
- Traditional BSN and online RN-to-BSN programs
- 100% job placement for BSN students
- 92% NCLEX pass rate (2019)
- Dedicated faculty who have an open door policy and are always willing to go above and beyond for their students
- Employers seek out NW nursing students during school and after graduation with job opportunities
- Department follows a “family” mentality
- Oklahoma LPN students may receive advance standing for multiple courses
- Student representation on faculty committees
- In order to stay current with their areas of expertise, faculty complete continuing education hours in addition to professional development hours each year
Psychology is within the School of Professional Studies.
- Learn from faculty that have expertise in areas such as counseling, research, data analysis and specialized areas including sports psychology and substance abuse counseling
- Study about the human body and behavior from evidence based curriculum
- Hands-on learning with psychology tools which help with application theories and techniques in the field
- Utilize knowledge and skills obtained to begin careers in education or assessment, advance to graduate school, and even work with a major league baseball team using sports psychology
Social Sciences is within the School of Arts and Sciences.
- 90-95% of the Criminal Justice, History, Political Science, Sociology, and Social Sciences graduates are employed in their field within six months post-graduation, or have been accepted into a Graduate Program in their field or have been admitted to Law School.
- Each year, the department sends 1 or 2 students to the Oklahoma State Legislature for a week-long Internship at the end of the Legislative session at the State Capitol.
- Over the past 14 years the department has sponsored three alumni to serve as Interns on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. Two of these individuals now work full time for elected officials in D.C. or at a federal agency.
- Each fall, the Social Sciences Department through its Endowed Institute for Citizenship Studies hosts the annual Constitution Day Event. Each spring, it holds the annual Presidential Lecture Series. Often times prominent national speakers are invited to present at these functions.
Social Work is within the School of Arts and Sciences.
- Nationally accredited - only 1 of 5 universities in the state that hold this accreditation
- Students with degree can obtain licensure upon graduation to practice social work in any state
- More than 95% acceptance rate of students into MSW advanced standing programs
- More than 95% job placement after graduation
- Home to 7 National Association of Social Workers-Oklahoma Undergraduate Students of the Year
- CWPEP grant has awarded 18 NWOSU students more than $130,000
- Home to a state-of-the art social work virtual reality lab
- Dr. Kylene Rehder named 2018 NASW-OK Social Worker of the Year