Northwestern's Study Abroad Program
is a once in a lifetime learning opportunity. Students not only get to take a fascinating course on the country they're visiting but they'll get to experience the lessons for themselves. Many students comment that the trip and the things they've learned will never be forgotten.
Here are a few memorable lessons from previous trips:
- Discussing the Irish fight for independence in the post office that served as the "headquarters" of the Irish rebellion--complete with bullet holes (UK 2012)
- The significance of flamenco dance to Spanish culture while attending a live flamenco performance (Italy & Spain 2014)
- Experience Māori architecture at the Māori Cultural Centre in Rotorua (Australia & New Zealand 2017)
- Touring the ruins of excavated Pompeii and experiencing a unique snapshot of ancient Roman life (Italy 2019)
Every year we have travelers join our trip that aren't taking it for course credit. We welcome anyone interested in joining one of our Study Abroad trips to email the appropriate faculty member or fill out the study abroad interest form to join our email list.
The Study Abroad Program's Mission
In order to provide quality educational and cultural opportunities to learners with diverse needs, Northwestern Oklahoma State University’s Study Abroad committee offers globally-aware curricula and internationally-focused student programs. By facilitating experiential and traditional learning, sponsoring programs, and guiding the University’s study abroad initiatives, these efforts provide a much needed global perspective for the NWOSU community.
Where are we going next?
Northwestern Oklahoma State University’s Study Abroad Committee is traveling to Spain & Portugal in the summer of 2025.
Spend 10 days abroad, earn college credit (optional), and experience something new. Walk down Barcelona’s pedestrian street, Las Ramblas, visit the 2,800 room Royal Palace in Madrid, and then travel south across the countryside on Spain’s fastest train to Seville. After visiting Spain, we'll travel to Portugal and enjoy a guided tour of Lisbon, ending our time together with a Fado evening.
Some items on the itinerary include: a visit to Gaudí’s Sagrada Família and Park Güell; a guided site-seeing tour of Madrid; travel on Spain's high-speed AVE train; and an evening of Flamenco.
Study abroad trips are not only for Northwestern students and employees but are open to the general public as well!
Shannon Leaper is the group leader for this next study abroad adventure. For more information contact Mrs. Leaper at email@example.com or (580) 327-8570.
UNIV 2013 - GLOBAL CITIZENSHIP
UNIV 2013: Global Citizenship
This course utilizes an interdisciplinary approach to ensure students gain a broader understanding of the global environment, their place in the world, and the issues within that world.
- This 3 credit hours course is offered every spring in the 2nd 8 weeks.
- Can be used to meet the Values & Beliefs electives or as a general elective.
- Works in tandem with the university-sponsored trip.
- Can work with other international travel.
Study Abroad Committee