School of Arts & Sciences
The Bachelor of Science Program in Mass Communication enables students to reach their full potential through guidance, instruction and learning experiences in preparation for graduate studies and/or careers in communications and related fields. Our award-winning student media allows students to prepare for careers in, but not limited to, radio, television, newspaper, magazines, public relations, advertising, church media, corporate or government communication and politics.
Graduates within our program are able to gather information, process information and create accurate messages for mass audiences.
Past graduates are currently employed in the broadcasting industry, newspaper industry, as public relations professionals, college instructors, lawyers, ministers, public speakers, and a variety of other careers.
Starting during the freshman year, students have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience through working with campus media.
Award-winning campus media includes Northwestern News, KNSU Ranger Radio, NWTV Channel 7 & RangerPulse.com.
Mass Communication Faculty Contacts:
Dr. Kaylene Armstrong
Northwestern News/RangerPulse.com Adviser
Dr. Luis Rocha Antunes
Dr. John Ellerbach
- KNSU Radio
- Northwestern News
- Oklahoma Broadcast Education Association
- Oklahoma Collegiate Media Association
- Society of Professional Journalists
- Ranger Agency
Careers for Degree
What Can I Do with a Mass Communication Degree?
Departmental Program Highlights
- Gain knowledge and skills in multiple areas including broadcast, print journalism, and strategic communication
- Use industry standard equipment and software in our on-campus studios and newsroom
- Complete internships that offer additional learning experiences and opportunities to network
- Enjoy supportive relationships with faculty and peers
- Work one-on-one with faculty and in group settings with peers
- Apply for participation and/or memorial scholarships specifically for students active in the mass communication program and student media
- Work for our student media in paid student positions
Student Learning Outcomes
The following are the Student Learning Outcomes (SLO) assessed for the mass communication program:
SLO 1: Students will follow professional media standards to create effective audio productions for publication or distribution.
SLO 2: Students will follow professional media standards to create effective video productions for publication or distribution.
SLO 3: Students will follow professional media standards to create media writing projects for publication or distribution.
SLO 4: Students will follow professional media standards to create effective visual design elements.
SLO 5: Students will follow professional media standards to create effective strategic communication projects.
SLO 6: Students will apply strategies for effective intercultural communication in an interconnected global society.
SLO 7: Students will apply skills for effective review and analysis of research pertaining to the discipline of mass communication.