J.R. HOLDER WELLNESS CENTER
The J.R. Holder Wellness Center is a 42,000 square foot facility that houses many features including an indoor track, racquetball courts, Cybex resistance equipment, and 15 pieces of cardiovascular equipment. Each locker room has ventilated lockers, showers, and a steam sauna. The Yvonne Carmichael Aquatics Center has a four-lane, 25-meter lap pool and a hot tub. Other amenities offered at the Wellness Center include personal training, massage therapy and daily exercise classes.
The Wellness Center provides an environment that will contribute to the process of wellness and further enhance the dimensions of being of multiple populations. The focus is on the process. Healthy lifestyles, rather than what a person can do, constitute process. If a person does the process (i.e., adopting a healthy lifestyle), positive changes will occur to the extent that change is possible for that person. Healthy lifestyles are within a person’s individual control. Any person can benefit from lifestyle change, and any person can change a lifestyle. These lifestyle changes will make a difference in health, fitness and wellness for all people.
HOURS OF OPERATION
Monday-Friday, 6 am - 9 pm
Saturday, 9 am - 3 pm
Sunday, 4 pm - 8 pm
Assistant Director of J. R. Holder Wellness Center
Northwestern - Alva
Questions? Email us at email@example.com
Facebook: J.R. Holder Wellness Center
Wellness is not simply a concept to be applied at an individual level, nor is it exclusive to those in the medical and health profession. Wellness is a continual process that should include Northwestern Oklahoma State University students, employees and citizens of the community. It should be cooperative efforts in helping people improve all five dimensions of being: physical, mental, emotional, social and spiritual.
MEMBERSHIP ELIGIBILITY AND RULES
Each member will be required to present a valid membership ID at the front desk before admittance will be allowed. Paperwork must be completed before you are allowed to use the facility. You will not be able to use the facility if you do not have your scan card. Replacement cards are available for $2.00.
1. Northwestern full-time students who have filled out paperwork and possess a current student ID.
2. Full-time employees of Northwestern who possess a valid employee ID.
3. Any person 14 years of age or older who possesses a valid membership.
4. Any person ages 11-13 who is accompanied by their parent*.
*Parent must possess a family membership. (Family is defined as spouse, and natural and adopted children under the age of 18, or 25 if currently enrolled in college and living in the same household.)
5. Any person who is referred to the Wellness Center by a physician for rehabilitation purposes must have a medical prescription.
6. Community members can purchase a membership and use the facility.
7. Individuals with active Medicare or Medicaid (must present proof of active status)
- Sleeveless shirts may not show skin three fingers width below the underarm.
- All tops must cover the entire torso (front and back) at a resting position. Cropped tops or sports bras are not considered a permissible top.
- Shorts must be full-coverage of the buttocks.
- Non-athletic bottoms (jeans/cargo pants/denim shorts, etc.) are prohibited from being worn.
- Shoes must be clean, closed-toe athletic shoes. Shoeless individuals will be asked to put shoes on.
- Members MUST be fully clothed when going to and from the pool/locker rooms. Towels are valid cover-ups for walking to and from the pool.
- Swimwear is required for the swimming pool. NO cut-off shirts and NO shoes are allowed in the pool.
*Any member not abiding by the Dress Code Policies will be asked to change or leave the facility.
- Must bring ID scan card or student ID EVERY TIME. If you do not have your scan card you will not be able to use the facility. A replacement card can be purchased for $2.00.
- Children must be 11 years old to use the facility. This does not allow parents to bring their children in to sit or hangout.
- Children ages 11-13 are required to attend with an adult over the age of 18 and they must be within viewing*. Children that are 14 or older can use the facility without a parent. *Any person appearing under the age of 16 years old MUST show proof of age before utilizing the facility.
- Children ages 14+ are allowed to use the facility without an adult.
- Be respectful of the other indviduals in the facility.
- Music must be in earphones or earbuds and at a normal volume.
- Foul language is prohibited.
- Be mindful of the amount of time you are spending on a machine or piece of equipment.
- Wipe your equipment down at a sanitizing station before and after use.
- Return equipment to its rightful place when done using.
- Inappropriate behavior is prohibited.
*The Wellness Center Staff has the right to refuse service to anyone not abiding by the policies.
Individual monthly membership
Monthly $25 6 month $125 Year $250
In order to qualify for a family membership: a) must be legally married spouse; b) their biological or legally adopted children. *Children must be under the age of 25 and living in the same household.
Monthly $45 6 month $225 Year $450
You must present a doctor's written medical prescription at the time of registering for a membership. Effective July 1, 2019, a medical prescription will be $25.00 for three months.
*Corporate rates are available for those who qualify (Public school teachers, city, county, state or federal employees, prison employees)
*Medicare and Medicaid rates available to those who qualify and show proof of active status.
Please see the front desk for more information on membership rates.
PERSONAL TRAINERS & MASSAGE THERAPY
For those who would like the guidance and the motivation of a fitness expert, the Wellness Center can provide you with your own personal trainer who can help you learn how to get in shape safely and effectively. You and your trainer can arrange workouts at a variety of times on an hourly fee basis.
Current Personal Trainer: Alex Baxter
INDIVIDUAL PACKAGE RATES
$30 per session
Massage Therapy is an additional service, not funded through your membership, that is available at the Wellness Center. This service is available to members and non-members.
Current Massage Therapist: Lisa Zink. To contact the Massage Therapist, please call the front desk of the Wellness Center at 580-327-8100.
MASSAGE PACKAGE RATES
$60 per hour
GROUP EXERCISE CLASS & WELLNESS CHALLENGES.
Fitness and wellness classes, at the Wellness Center, are free with your membership.
BodyBURN is a full body interval style workout. By using everything from ladders, bosu balls, body bars, kettle bells and much more you will improve your cardiovascular fitness, strength, energy and overall fitness level. This class is designed to allow you to change clothes, exercise and get back to work without missing a beat. Designed for all fitness levels.
Indoor Rhythm Cycling
Indoor rhythm cycling is a class that is designed to be an individually paced journey to mental and physical well being. By adjusting the resistance knob on your bike, all fitness levels can participate and work at your own individualized fitness level while being motivated and encouraged in a group setting. Join Olivia on the bike, as she guides you through various hills, intervals, sprints and choreography rides that are fun, upbeat and available to all fitness levels.
Power Flow Yoga
Join Lindsey for a vinyasa-style yoga class that will improved your strength and flexiblity, as well as teach you techniques to relieve stress and tension. All fitness levels are welcome, from beginner to advanced. Modifications for poses will be described and modeled!
Power Hour is an hour-long class that focuses on learning proper form and how to properly use the equipment within the facility. The goal of this class is to emPOWER you and help you gain confidence in the gym, all while getting a killer workout!
Butts and Guts*
Butts and Guts is an hour-long class that focuses on building and shaping the legs while also developing the core muscles. This class is for people of all levels whether you’re an intermediate or beginner.”
*"Power Hour" and "Butts and Guts" will also rotate every Saturday at 10:30 AM
You can pick up a group fitness class schedule at the front desk.
To see the list of active fitness & wellness challenges available, please visit our Facebook or Instagram accounts!
FITNESS SERVICES AND EQUIPMENT
The Wellness Center offers a wide variety of group exercise classes taught by personal trainers and certified instructors. These classes are a free service to members of the Wellness Center. Also, aerobic videotapes may be checked out at the front desk.
The Wellness Center’s cardiovascular area contains 7 treadmills, 5 ellipticals, 4 upright bikes startionary bikes, 6 recumbent stationary bikes, 1 stair climber, and 3 rowers.
Enjoy the use of our state-of-the-art Cybex equipment or the wide variety of free weights we have to offer. Our 18 Cybex machines are designed for your needs and safety. We also have squat racks, benches, and dumbbells.
*Young people, ages 11-13, may use the weight training facilities only under direct supervision of a parent.
Our two regulation size racquetball courts can provide a great workout while still having fun! Courts may be reserved a day in advance through the front desk. Racquets, balls, and goggles are provided at no extra cost to members of the Wellness Center and can be checked out for use at the front desk.
OUTDOOR RECREATION COMPLEX
Our recently renovated recreation complex, equipped with 8 pickleball courts, 3 tennis courts, 1 full length basketball court & 2 half basketball courts is available to all members the wellness center, as well as non-members in the community. Equipment such as as paddles, racquets and balls can be checked out for use at the front desk.
The track has four lanes and is designed for running, jogging and walking. Faster runners should use the outside lanes and slower joggers and walkers should use the inside lane.
YVONNE CARMICHAEL AQUATIC CENTER AND LOCKERS
The Yvonne Carmichael Aquatic Center is located indoors. The Aquatic center features a pool and hot tub. The pool is 25 meters in length and has five available lanes. The pool is accessible to the use of lap swimming or other water exercises. We also have a variety of aquatic dummbells, kickboards, water weights & other types of equipment available for members to use. Towels are not provided by the Wellness Center.
Pool will be closed 30 minutes prior to the facility closing.
Saunas are located in the men's & women's locker rooms.
Hallway and locker room lockers are available for check out during your use of the facility. You must return the key when you are finished.
If you wish to have a large locker and keep the locker key you can purchase a VIP package. This package is a additonal cost to your membership and is valid for a year.
VIP Package ($100) includes:
1 large locker room or hallway key
5 guest passes
Please contact Olivia Yandel if you are interested in this membership.
Pool Party Rental
- Pool party cost varies on time rental and number of swimmers.
- 1 hour, 15 swimmers or less is $50.
- Must have no more than 15 kids per lifeguard.
- Extra lifeguard is $10 per hour.
- Pool parties can only be held on Saturdays after 3:00 p.m. or Sundays before 4:00 p.m.
- Pool parties must be scheduled no later than 1 week prior to the event.
- Any pool party scheduled within 1 week of event will be subject to an additional upcharge for lifeguards.
*Call the front desk at 327-8100 for more information or to schedule a party.