School of Arts & Sciences
Social Science Education
This program is designed to prepare you for a career in secondary education teaching Social Studies. The coursework prepares you for the subject specific competency exams required for Oklahoma Teacher Certification. If interested, you will need to contact the Program Coordinator, Jana Brown, during your first semester upon admission to Northwestern in order to plan your program of study carefully. Advisement is essential to appropriate preparation for a teacher education program.
All social science education majors are required to complete a plan of study with Jana Brown, Social Science Education Program Coordinator, upon admission to NWOSU. Social Science Education majors are required to obtain advisement guidance for semester enrollments from Professor Brown.
Students should refer to the History, Political Science and Sociology course rotations for planning purposes. Sophomores or rising Juniors who are majoring in Social Science Education are required to enroll in the Global Transformations in History course to prepare for Teacher Education Admission. The Social Science Teacher's Course is offered in the Fall and Spring Semesters.
Students are required to enroll and complete coursework in Education as well as Social Sciences. Education majors must maintain at least a 2.5 GPA for admission into the Teacher Education program.
Please contact Ms. Brown for further information about this degree program or for a detailed look at the course requirements and descriptions for these courses, please see the Undergraduate Catalog.
Jana Brown, Program Coordinator
Instructor of History
Jesse Dunn 302D
The Department of Social Sciences offers several scholarships to students who are majoring in the one of the programs within the department. Those students who have excelled academically are encouraged to complete the Social Sciences Scholarship Application by February 15 of each year. The form must be submitted before March 15 to be eligible for an Academic Scholarship.
Students also must complete the Continuing Student Scholarship Application.
For more information, please visit Scholarships.
The list of available scholarships includes:
- Sabin C. & Pearl Ellen Percefull Scholarship for one of the Social Sciences
- Donovan & Dorothy Reichenberger Scholarship for one of the Social Sciences
- Dr. John C. Sheffield Scholarship for one of the Social Sciences
- Jay Linder Scholarship for Pre-Law students
- Glen Jenlink Scholarship for Law Enforcement majors and minors
- G. W. Nichols Scholarship for Law Enforcement
- Shafer Family Scholarship for Law Enforcement
- R. B. Yadon Scholarship for Law Enforcement
- Floyd S. Sibley Scholarshipfor Sociology
- Ronald Reagan Scholarshipfor Political Science
- Frank Wadley Scholarship for Political Science
- John Slack Scholarship for Political Science
- Cunningham Family Endowed Lectureship in Criminal Justice
Additionally, the Northwestern Foundation awards numerous other scholarships for transfer students, campus participation and miscellaneous unspecified scholarships. The Foundation is located in the Student Center Building on the Alva campus. Foundation personnel may be contacted by calling 580-327-8593 or via email to email@example.com.
Careers for Degree
Social Science Education Careers Include:
Teacher, Professor, Coach, School Administration, Tutor, Mentor, Academic Counselor... and many more.