Welcome to our 16th Art Show! We in the NWOSU Art Society hope that you'll be involved in our show this year. We work hard through the year to make this show happen for you. Our show is open to all current Northwestern students and employees, retired employees and alumni from all our campus locations.
We hope to see your work in our show!
16th annual NAS Art Show
in J.W. Martin Library (Alva) March 3-29, 2019
Deadline for Entry Forms is Feb. 20, 2019
Artwork delivered to J.W. Martin Library (Alva) Feb. 27, 2019, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Winner's Show at Runnymede is April 5, 2019, 6-8 p.m.
Contact Angelia Case, FA 211, email@example.com or (580) 327-8577 for more information.
You also can watch for news on the art show via our NWOSU Art Society Art Show Facebook Page!
Important Dates to Remember
Registration Deadline – Wednesday, Feb. 20 (form sent via mail, campus mail, in person, by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or via the online form.
Art Drop Off Day at Alva Campus Library - Wednesday, Feb. 27, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Only those with permission from Angelia Case will be allowed to bring artwork after Feb. 27.
Art Show Setup - Friday, March 1, 5 p.m.
Show Opens to Public! – Sunday, March 3.
Last Day of Campus Show - Friday, March 29, (Pieces will be taken down Saturday, March 30.)
Non-Placing Artwork must be picked up by 5:30 p.m. Monday, April 1, from the J.W. Martin Library.
Winners' Show is First Friday Art Walk Runnymede Hotel, 6-8 p.m. - Friday, April 5 * All Winning Pieces Taken Unless Entrant Specifies Differently *
Winners' Show ends at 8 p.m., and artists may pick up their work at the close of this show.
Any remaining artwork should be picked up in Fine Arts 211 on Monday, April 8, by 5:30 p.m.
Art Show Rules & Info
Students, Employees, Retirees and Alumni must bring their entries to the the J.W. Martin Library where you will be directed to the room to leave your pieces. If you live out of town, you may mail the pieces (at your own risk) to Angelia Case, NWOSU, FA 211, 709 Oklahoma Blvd., Alva, OK 73717. You must provide the postage to return the piece to you, or come by the office to pick it up. Students/employees at the Enid and Woodward campuses may be able to make arrangements for transport with the campus courier.
Entrants who cannot drop off or pick up their artwork as scheduled must make special arrangements before Wednesday, Feb. 27. If you have any questions or need to make special arrangements, please contact Angelia Case by email at email@example.com or call 580-327-8577. Only those with permission will be allowed to bring artwork after Feb. 27.
All Fine Arts entries should be framed or matted and ready to hang, or they will be fitted with Velcro to hang. Only 3-dimensional work is exempt, and it must be labeled. Special attention should always be paid to the presentation of your art work.
All photographs must be 5"x7" minimum in size.
All photographs must be matted or mounted. No frames will be allowed. No exceptions.
For installation and identification purposes, all pieces must include the title of the work, category entered and your name in the upper right hand corner on the back side, if possible.
No kits are allowed - all work must be original including cartoon/comic characters.
Matting/mounting can be purchased at a local discount store. Some matting/mounting boards may be purchased through the NWOSU Art Society.
The NWOSU Art Society, and the J.W. Martin Library are not responsible for loss or damage of any artwork. Any work deemed inappropriate by NAS and school standards will not be displayed.
Contact Angelia Case, FA 211, firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
~ Before entering artwork, entrants need to read and understand contest rules. ~
If your entry wins any Award, it is eligible and will be taken to the Winner’s Show in downtown Alva. Entrants must specify if entries should not be taken to this show. The show will be held during the First Friday Art Walk on Friday, April 5.
A reception will be held celebrating the winners and show on this day from 6 - 8 p.m. Please plan to attend. The public is encouraged to attend.
Art Show Categories
You may enter TWO items in each of the categories below: (PDF of Categories)
1. Artisan Crafts – things that are made or created by hand that may be functional or strictly decorative, for example decorative arts, 3 dimensional/sculptures, jewelry, pottery, etc.
2. Cartoon/Comics - All concepts and work must be the artist's own. No copies of other characters. If created digitally, artwork should be submitted in a high resolution, print quality form. All should be mounted or matted for display.
3. Digital Art- artworks created entirely using computer hardware and software, or for digital photographs or scanned images that have been profoundly manipulated and/or combined using computer software.
4. Fiber Art – a style of fine art that uses textiles such as fabric, yarn, and natural and synthetic fibers and encompasses countless techniques. The techniques range from quilting, embroidery, collage, weaving, spinning, knitting, crocheting, macramé, distressing fabrics to achieve specific textures and recycling fabrics, etc.
5. Quilting - A quilt is a multi-layered textile, traditionally composed of three layers of fiber: a woven cloth top, a layer of batting or wadding, and a woven back, combined using the technique of quilting, the process of sewing the three layers together. In many cases the top is pieced from a patchwork of smaller fabric pieces; the whole process of creating a quilt or quilted wall hanging involves several steps such as designing, piecing, appliqué, and binding. Quilts are frequently displayed as non-utilitarian works of art.
6. Mixed Media/Collage involving the use of two or more artistic media.
7. Watercolor - Paintings done in watercolors featuring any subject.
8. Painting – Animals/Creature - for all paintings of any animal, insects, living creatures other than people.
9. Paintings – Architecture - any paintings done in acrylics or oils featuring architecture.
10. Painting – Elements of Design - any paintings done in acrylics or oils featuring artistic images that make good use of elements of design. These must emphasize the use of line, shape, pattern, form, texture, perspective, etc. It can be any subject matter. Creativity is encouraged.
11. Paintings - The Figure/Portraiture - any paintings done in acrylics or oils featuring the human figure, including portraiture.
12. Paintings -- Landscapes/Nature - any paintings done in acrylics or oils featuring landscapes/nature. A landscape is a section or portion of scenery as seen from a single viewpoint. Scenery is the subject of a landscape image. Showcases outdoor beauty.
13. Paintings -- All other subject areas - any paintings done in acrylics or oils featuring subjects other than those listed above.
In Works on Paper:
14. Works on Paper -- Animals/Creature - for all works on paper of any animal, insects, and living creatures other than people.
15. Works on Paper -- Architecture - any works done on paper with pencil, charcoal, ink, pastels, etc., featuring architecture.
16. Works on Paper – Elements of Design – any works done on paper with pencil, charcoal, ink, pastels, etc., featuring artistic images that make good use of elements of design. These must emphasize the use of line, shape, pattern, form, texture, perspective, etc. It can be any subject matter. Creativity is encouraged.
17. Works on Paper – The Figure/Portraiture – any works done on paper with pencil, charcoal, ink, pastels, etc., featuring the human figure, including portraiture
18. Works on Paper -- Landscapes/Nature – any works done on paper with pencil, charcoal, ink, pastels, etc., featuring landscapes/nature. A landscape is a section or portion of scenery as seen from a single viewpoint. Scenery is the subject of a landscape image. Showcases outdoor beauty.
19. Works on Paper -- All other subject areas - any works on paper featuring subjects other than those listed above.
20. Animals/Creature - for all photos of any animal, insects, living creatures other than people.
21. Black and White - For all photos black and white only.
22. Landscapes - A landscape is a section or portion of scenery as seen from a single viewpoint. Scenery is the subject of a landscape image. Showcases outdoor beauty.
23. Cityscapes - A pictorial view of a city or section of one. Must have the characteristic appearance of a city. A landscape taken in an urban environment.
24. Light - Something that contains an element of light. Light is the main subject of the photo.
25. Elements of Design - Artistic images that make good use of elements of design. These photos must emphasize the use of line, shape, pattern, form, texture, perspective, etc. It can be any subject matter as long as it is a photograph; no graphic illustrations made in a program like Adobe Illustrator or digital creations for this category. Creativity is encouraged.
26. Macro - Extreme close up photography usually of small subjects in which the size of the subject in the photograph is greater than life size.
27. People - Pictures of people should say something. These are pictures of people in all walks of life.
28. Nature - For all photos of plant life.
29. All other subject areas - any photos featuring subjects other than those listed above.
If, in the opinion of the judges, none of the entries in a category meet the standards of excellence, no award will be given. Judges may award any place to an entry based on merit.
Prizes for Student & Non-Student Entries
You can win money by placing in the
16th annual NWOSU Art Society Art Show!
Entry form deadline Wednesday, Feb. 20 (Online Entry Form)
Artwork to be delivered Wednesday, Feb. 27
Art Show in J.W. Martin Library (Alva campus)
One Best of Show: $75 and ribbon - (chosen from all category winners)
28 Category Winners: 1st-$15; 2nd-$5; 3rd-$2 each with ribbons (all placings may not be awarded pending judge's discretion)
One People's Choice: $50 and ribbon (selected by patrons visiting show from among all entries submitted by students, alumni, employees, retirees)
Same as above for all divisions/categories below; however, no prize money available. Ribbons only. Everyone eligible in the People's Choice voting for the $50 prize.
NAS Art Show Winners
Were you unable to see the 2018 NAS Art Show in person? No worries. We took a photo of each individual piece for you: 2018 NAS Art Show in Photos
Lists of past winners: