Apply for Admission-International

Apply for Admission


As you’re searching for a university that will fulfill both your academic and financial needs, we hope you find that Northwestern can be your home away from home. Currently, Northwestern is home to 46 international students representing 19 different countries.  

The ability to understand, speak, read and write English effectively is most important for any student wishing to study at Northwestern Oklahoma State University, because all lectures and examinations are conducted in English.

Northwestern is a great place to earn a quality and affordable education. We hope to add YOU to the Ranger Family for the upcoming semester!  


Jodie Randels
International Student Advisor
Administrative Assistant 

Student Services 
Ryerson Hall 126 
Northwestern - Alva 
(580) 327-8414
(580) 327-8413 (FAX)




International Student Admission Requirements

In addition to completing all required documents, the following requirements must be met:

1. Age Requirements: Applicant must be 18 years of age by enrollment date.

2. Transcript Requirements: NWOSU requires an official transcript to be mailed to the International Student Office. An official transcript can be defined by the following:

  • Must be sent and sealed by institution of study (digital copies are acceptable for the admission process; however offiical transcripts must be received by NWOSU upon arrival to the U.S.)
  • High School transcript must contain at least 3 years of study
  • Must provide a diploma or completion certificate
  • Must be accompanied by English translation (if original transcript is in English, translation is not needed)
  • Must have 4.0 scale GPA listed

If your transcript does not match the above list, your application process may be delayed until official transcript is received. 

NWOSU requires that applicants meet the following criteria:

  • Ranked in top 50 percent of high school class and minimum CGPA a 2.70 CGPA on a 4.00 scale, OR
  • Have at least an ACT Composite of 20 or SAT of 1020

College Transfer Students must meet the following transcript requirements:

  • Must have received a minimum 2.0 CGPA on a 4.0 scale
  • Must provide official transcript from all colleges/universities attended. If college/university was a non-U.S. university, you will be required to have your transcript evaluated by one of our approved evaluation companies. A list of our approved evaluation companies is listed below:

    Global Credential Evaluators, Inc.
     P.O. Box 9203
     College Station, TX 77842-8203

    World Education Services
     P.O. Box 5087
     Bowling Green Station
     New York, NY 10274-5087

     Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
     International Education Consultants
     7101 SW 102 Avenue
     Miami, FL 33173

  • In addition to all required admission items, transfer applicants must submit completed Transfer Clearance form (contact the International Office for this form)

3. Testing Requirements: For consideration for admissions, You also must meet one of these testing criteria:​


  • TOEFL 61 (Code 6493)
  • IELTS 5.5

  • SAT – 1020 (Code 6493) with letter of English Proficiency (COUNTRIES WITH ENGLISH AS PRIMARY LANGUAGE ONLY. Subject to change based on pending Regent Policy)

  • You may be admitted if you took the American College Test (ACT) and received a composite score of at least 20. (COUNTRIES WITH ENGLISH AS PRIMARY LANGUAGE ONLY)


  • TOEFL 79
  • IELTS 6.5

ALL foreign students will need to comply with the policy of the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education concerning English Proficiency, NO EXCEPTIONS.

4. Financial Requirements: All international applicants are required to submit proof of liquid assets sufficient to pay for the entire first year of education and living expenses. Proof can be in the form of an official letter on bank letterhead or an official bank statement translated into English and in USD. Please see below for the current NWOSU requirement:

  • Undergraduate: $25,793.75
  • Graduate: $17,693.13


Contact us for more information at

International Application for Admission

All international students, whether you’re an incoming freshman or transfer, may apply online by using our Online Application for Admissions.

We accept international students for the Fall and Spring semesters only.  We no longer accept students for summer semesters due to extremely limited course availability.

Applications received after the deadline date will be processed for the next available semester.

- Fall Semester (August to December): July 15
- Spring Semester (January to May): December 10

International students applying to Northwestern as incoming freshmen or transfer students - below are a number of items we’ll need from you:

1. International Student Application for Admission

  • Complete the online application

  • Each section of the application must be completed honestly.

  • Students may request their applications be updated for a future semester (up to two calendar years) if they are unable to attend Northwestern during the semester to which they initially applied.

2. Financial Guarantee Form

The purpose of this form is to provide proof to Northwestern that you have the financial resources to cover the cost of the first year’s institutional expenses. This document must be completed by both you and the guarantor.

3. Bank Statement from Financial Guarantor

If the guarantor’s bank prefers to issue a letter, the letter should be issued on bank stationery and signed by a bank official. Monetary values need to be converted to the United States dollar.

4. Signed Statement of Understanding

5. English Proficiency Results (required by all students coming from an international high school, college or university)

NWOSU accepts the following for proof of English Proficiency:


    • Paper Based – 520 minimum score requirement

    • Computer Based – 190 minimum score requirement

    • Internet Based – 68 minimum score requirement


    • 6.0 minimum score requirement

  • If your country's primary language is English, you may submit a letter from your school acknowledging that you were taught in English. You will be required to take the SAT or ACT test in order to gain admittance.

6. Transcripts

  • Official Secondary/High School Transcripts (only for incoming freshmen)

  • If the transcripts are not in English, a certified evaluation is required. If photocopies of records are sent, you will be expected to bring the original educational records when you arrive at Northwestern to enroll.

  • Official Post-Secondary/College/University Transcripts (if applicable). If transferring from an international university a transcript evaluation service is required. The evaluation must come directly from the company of your choosing to our institution. There are no exceptions to this rule.

NWOSU will accept any evaluation companies listed on the NACES website; however, we prefer applicants to utilize the evaluation companies listed below:

Global Credential Evaluators, Inc.
 P.O. Box 9203
 College Station, TX 77842-8203

World Education Services
 P.O. Box 5087
 Bowling Green Station
 New York, NY 10274-5087

 Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
 International Education Consultants

 7101 SW 102 Avenue
 Miami, FL 33173


7. Students who are transferring from a U.S. College/University also must provide a completed Transfer Clearance Form

8. A legible copy of your passport

Contact us for more information at

Health Records

1. Immunization Records Form (where it asks for Social Security Number, input nine zeros)

All immunizations are required before acceptance.

2. International students are required to show proof of negative results to the Tuberculosis skin test prior to being allowed to enroll in their second semester. You may complete this in your home country or at Share Medical Center in Alva, but it must be completed within 30 days of your arrival to Northwestern.

** The Immunization Records Form will show proof of immunization for certain diseases. See more information in our Immunization Policy.

** We won’t be able to make a room assignment in University Housing or accept your admission application until we receive your Immunization information. 

You also will need to submit the Meningitis Form and a Housing/Meal Contract. These forms are on the Living on Campus web page.

Additional Forms
If you are applying for graduate school or returning to Northwestern after being gone for a semester or more, please use the following forms:

1. Application for Graduate Studies

2. Application for Readmission

Contingent on your acceptance, original and official documents will be required upon your arrival at Northwestern.

I've Applied: Now What? 

Once the International Student Office has received all of the required information from you, a decision will be made regarding your admission, and you will be notified via email.

International students have the option of receiving their acceptance package by mail or express shipping. If you choose to receive your acceptance package via express shipping applicants will be responsible for all shipping charges. You will receive instructions via email. There will be no extra charge for students who wish to accept their acceptance package via regular mail.

Prior to enrolling at Northwestern you will need to notify the Registrar of your social security number, which is used as your student identification number. If you do not have a social security number you will be assigned a student identification number at the time you enroll at Northwestern.

Additional information is available by contacting the International Student Office at

I've Been Accepted: Now What?

As soon as you arrive in Alva, visit the International Student office to discuss your AccuPlacer Test appointment time. This placement test is required for all international students who did not meet a 455 in the reading portion and in the math portion of the SAT exam.  This test will aide us in ensuring you are put in courses that will set you up for success at our University. After you have completed this test, you will be set up with an advisor to enroll in your classes. 

Transferring from another U.S. College/University? You can enroll as soon as your official transcript has been received! Contact the International Student office for more information.

Maintain full-time enrollment
Students who are studying in an undergraduate program are required to enroll in a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester during the academic year. If you are unable to enroll full-time, or wish to withdraw from a course that would put you under full-time, you will need authorization from the International Academic Advisor before doing so. The International Academic Advisor will only allow this under extenuating circumstances as lined out by SEVP.

Graduate students are required to be enrolled in a minimum of nine credit hours to be considered “full-time.” Again, you will need to receive authorization from the International Academic Advisor before you are allowed to drop below full-time and will only be considered under extenuating circumstances as lined out by SEVP.

Maintain "Presence on Campus" 
F-1 students are required to be seen on campus. They are not allowed to take a full course of study in online/ITV courses.  Only 3 credit hours of online/ITV courses can count towards your minimum credit hour requirement.  Undergraduate students must enroll in 9 credit hours of traditional courses before they may enroll in a 3 credit hour online OR ITV course. Graduate students must enroll in 6 credit hours of traditional courses before they may enroll in a 3 credit hour online OR ITV course.  There are very limited exceptions to this rule.  Please contact the International Academic Advisor for specification.

See additional information you’ll need to Maintain Your F1 Visa Status.

Apply for Student Housing
If you are planning to live in a university residence hall you will need to submit a Housing/Meal Contract from the Living on Campus web page. This form also includes the required Meningitis form.

Pay $100.00 deposit. Payment can be mailed to Business Office, 709 Oklahoma Blvd., Alva, OK 73717 or call them at (580) 327-8534 to pay with a credit card.  (Dorm deposits and application fees are the only things you can pay for by phone or in person with a credit card in the Business Office.)

See also Freshman Residency Requirement and Exemption Request Form.

International Student Graduate Studies

Graduate Studies at Northwestern offers master’s degree programs in:

1. Master of Arts in American Studies

2. Master of Education

3. Master of Counseling Psychology

International students applying for graduate studies have the same requirements as undergrad international students; however, they must take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) before being allowed admittance.  Students will first apply through the international office with the general international student admittance requirements, then their completed application will be submitted to the graduate office for further requirements.

For more information email or visit the Graduate Studies site.

Where is NWOSU?

Northwestern's main campus is located in Alva, a city of nearly 6,000 residents in northwest Oklahoma. Alva is located just 14 miles (23 km) south of the Kansas border. Alva is approximately 152 miles (245 km) northwest of Oklahoma City and 115 miles (186 km) southwest of Wichita, Kansas. The nearest airports are located in these two larger cities.

Northwestern's main campus offers students a traditional on-campus college experience by living in university housing, dining in the cafeteria or Student Center Snack Bar, participating in campus media activities, attending home athletic events, going to university-sponsored concerts or plays, and more.

At Northwestern's Alva campus, students can choose from more than 40 areas of study to earn their Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degrees, and offers complete Master's Degree programs in Education, Counseling Psychology, and American Studies.


Average summer high 80 to 96 degrees F
(27 to 36 degrees C)

Average winter low 23 to 34 degrees F
(-5  to 1 degree C)

Mild fall/spring temperatures

Office Responsibilities

A few of the responsibilities of the International Student Office include, but are not limited to:

  • International Student Admissions

  • Assigning I-20s for students who have met the application requirements

  • Academic Advising for International Students through their General Education courses

  • Educating students on maintaining their F-1 Status

  • Keeping students informed of their employment options

  • Assisting with any other International Student – related items

  • Transportation requests

  • Hosting International Student Association events, such as the Festival of Cultures

More information is available by contacting

Northwestern Oklahoma State University

709 Oklahoma Blvd., Alva, OK 73717
Phone: (580) 327-1700

© 2008-2021 Northwestern Oklahoma State
University. All Rights Reserved.

Mission Statement

Northwestern Oklahoma State University provides quality educational and cultural opportunities to learners with diverse needs by cultivating ethical leadership and service, critical thinking and fiscal responsibility.

Proud Member of RUSO