(For best results, please fill out this form using the Google Chrome Browser.)
Service-learning is a structured learning experience that combines community service with explicit learning objectives, preparation, and reflection. Students involved in service learning are expected not only to provide community service but also to learn about the context in which the service is provided, the connection between the service and their academic coursework, and their role as citizens.
1. Complete the Course Approval Form below and submit to the SL/CE Committee prior to offering the class.
2. The SL/CE committee will review the completed form. They will approve the course or return it to the instructor with instructions for modification.
3. For questions regarding the completion of the form or approval process please call Janet Valencia at (580) 327-8134 or 8615 or email email@example.com
Below, you will be asked to attach your syllabus and highlight where you inserted the following:
• Explanation that the course is a service-learning course.
• A discussion of civic responsibility, and how this course will prepare students for life-long engagement in their community.
• Explanation of how service-learning ties to specific course objectives.
• Explanation of the service-learning activities in which students will be engaged.
• Explanation of reflection assignments specifically related to the service-learning experience.
• Identification of community partner organization(s), or, if applicable, the resources students may utilize if required to form their own partnerships.
• Number of service hours required, as well as the grading scale and explanation of points and percentages related to the service-learning experience, reflection assignments, etc.