MASTER OF EDUCATION
The Master of Education (M.Ed.) certificate degrees are available to any individual who holds a baccalaureate degree in the field of education from an accredited institution and who has a current teaching certificate. The following certified M.Ed. degree programs require a minimum of 32 to 36 credit hours of course work, depending on the program.
- Curriculum and Instruction (Elementary/Secondary)
- Educational Leadership (Elementary/Secondary)
- Elementary Education
- Reading Specialist
- School Counseling
- Secondary Education
Certification Only Options
- Elementary/Secondary Principal
- Reading Specialist
- School Counselor
Master of Ed - Non-Certificate Programs
The following non-certificate M.Ed. degrees are available to any individual who holds a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution. These programs are designed for individuals who are interested in preparation for junior-college teaching, coaching, or higher education administrative work; for non-school employment; or for pursuit of advanced graduate study in an academic discipline, such as Health and Sports Science Administration.
- Adult Education Management and Administration (with 18 elective hours in a chosen field of study)
(Option 1: elective sequence for coaches interested in Sports Management)
All Master of Education students are required to submit a graduate portfolio in lieu of taking the written comprehensive examination and the oral follow-up exam. M.Ed. students also are required, however, to defend their portfolio at Milestone 3.
Master of Counseling Psychology and American Studies students are required to take the final comprehensive examination and the oral follow-up exam in lieu of the portfolio.
This information is also found in the portfolio template located in LiveText.
Milestones 1 & 2: "provides a record of professional growth and development over time."
MS 1 = due in semester of the 10th hour of graduate work), including:
- title page (already in LiveText template)
- personal information
- professional credentials
- required paperwork
- diversity chart (for those M.Ed. students enrolled in certificate programs)
- artifacts to meet three standards
- disposition form filled out by the student
MS 2 = due in semester of 20th hour of graduate work, including:
- all items from MS 1 and updated materials
- artifacts to meet four additional standards (total of 4 standards for MS 2)
- disposition form filled out in ALCA by a faculty member who knows the student
Milestone 3: "a 'best work' portfolio, illustrating the candidate's exemplary performance."
MS 3 = due at completion of degree program, including:
- all items from MS 1 & 2 and updated materials
- artifacts to meet all standards
- reflective summary
- disposition form filled out in ALCA by a faculty member who knows the student.
- a final disposition assessment to be filled out by the student.
- exit interview with Graduate Studies Office