Home of the Rangers Mural

Living On Campus

It's Your Home Away from Home!

One of the best parts about going to college at Northwestern is living on-campus and being around others with similar interests, as well as those with varied life experiences and cultural backgrounds. 

Whether you’re an incoming freshman or a returning senior, the convenience of living so close to your classes, the cafeteria, the snack bar, the library, the wellness center – everywhere – can’t be matched.  Also, we’re one of the safest and most affordable campuses in the state.

Living on campus also will help bridge the gap between living at home with your parents and living on your own for the first time – all without having to worry about cooking for yourself. The experiences of living “on your own” will help you to learn important life skills needed for adulthood.

By living on campus, you’ll be more active in campus clubs and student events because you’ll know what’s happening around you every day. Studies show that you also may make better grades and have a better chance at graduating – not to mention that you could possibly meet some of the best friends you’ll ever have.

Join us in University Housing and make it your Home Away from Home!


Move-In Day

Fall semester Move-In Day for all residence halls is the Thursday prior to the first day of school beginning at 10:00 a.m.  Please go to the front desk of the assigned residence hall to start your check-in process.  There will be a Resident Assistant to assist you.

Filling Out Our Forms

Several of the forms on this page are fillable PDFs, so you may need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. You also may need to save the PDF to your hard drive first, fill it out, save it and attach it to an email to send to klhansen@nwosu.edu.

If you are using your smart phone to fill out these fillable PDFs, you will need an App for Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Apply for Student Housing

If you’re planning to live in University Housing, you’ll need fill out and submit the information below. Applications will not be considered complete, and room assignments will not be made until providing this information.

Housing and Meal Application/Contract Form 

Everyone living in University Housing during the fall and/or spring semesters must fill out this form and choose a meal plan.

Pay $75.00 deposit 

Payment can be mailed to Business Office, 709 Oklahoma Blvd., Alva, OK 73717 or by calling them at (580) 327-8534 to pay with a credit card.  (Dorm deposits and application fees are the only things you can pay for by phone or in person with a credit card in the Business Office.)

This is a fillable PDF. You may need to save the PDF first, fill it out, save it and attach it to an email to send to klhansen@nwosu.edu. If you are using your smart phone to fill out these fillable PDFs, you will need an App for Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Room & Meal Plan Costs

All housing residents are required to have a meal plan. You can use your meal plan in the Student Center Snack Bar or Coronado Café. Payment will come by having your current student ID scanned.

Use the breakdown found in Paying for College to choose what type of room and meal plan you are interested in. For your total room and board cost, add the room cost and board cost together.  

Meningitis Form 

Summer Housing Contract

Complete this form if you are planning to stay in University Housing over the summer.

$75 deposit required if one has not already been paid. 

This is a fillable PDF. You may need to save the PDF first, fill it out, save it and attach it to an email to send to klhansen@nwosu.edu


Sibling/Family Housing Agreement Waiver

Complete this form each year when you and at least one sibling attending Northwestern are living in University Housing. This scholarship waives the cost of a semi-private room for one student’s bill. Both siblings will need to live on campus.

Freshman Exemption Request Form

Complete this form if you are a freshman and want to request living off campus. 

Continuing or Non-Renewal Housing Contract

Complete this form if you are a freshman and want continue or non-renew your housing contract.

The renewal form is a fillable PDF. You may need to save the PDF first, fill it out, save it and attach it to an email to send to klhansen@nwosu.edu

Room Assignments

Housing personnel will consider all applications for housing with great care to pair students who are thought to be most compatible as roommates. They also will consider which residence hall would be best for each student to create strong and well-balanced communities. This process allows for students to live within an environment of wide-ranging personalities, interests and cultures.

All first-time freshmen must live in university housing to fulfil the Freshman Residency Requirement or must apply for an exemption. Generally, freshmen also will have a roommate. 

Returning students must complete a Continuing or Non-Renewal Housing Contract at the end of each semester (fall and spring). At this time you will receive an email from the Housing Office indicating it’s time to fill out the online form.

You will be able to request the same room, request a change in rooms or cancel your housing contract at this time. Housing personnel will consider the requests for changes in room assignments and notify you if the change has been granted.


All first-time freshmen attending the Alva campus are required to live in student housing for two academic semesters (only fall and spring semesters apply). This policy is in place to help increase your involvement while on campus and to ensure your personal and academic success.

Northwestern's research consistently shows that freshmen residing on campus have higher GPAs than freshmen living off-campus. This research is consistent with the national research on freshman GPA's and retention rates.

You can apply for an exemption to this policy if you:

  • Are married or a single parent with children

  • Are a first-time freshman who is at least 21 years of age

  • Will be living with a parent or legal guardian

    • Parent or legal guardian will need to schedule a meeting with the Director of Students/Housing
      by calling 580-327-8418

  • Are a transfer student with more than 24 credit hours earned

    • Concurrent hours taken during high school do not apply

  • Are taking less than nine credit hours

If you would like to appeal the residency requirement you will need to fill out the Freshman Exemption Request Form and provide relevant documentation to support your request. Exemption forms in print also can be obtained by contacting the Director of Students/Housing at (580) 327-8418. 

Student Housing Staff


Kaylyn Hansen
Director of Students and Housing
(580) 327-8418
Fine Arts #131

Jacey Bales
Housing Secretary
(580) 327-8605
Fine Arts #131


Macie Malone
Fryer Hall
(580) 327-8430

Cindy Foresman
South Hall
(580) 327-8423

Oliver Willis
Ament Hall
(580) 327-8421

Jordan & Kylie Franz
Coronado Hall
(580) 327-8419


Resident Assistants in South Hall

Resident Assistants in South Hall include: (left to right back row) Paola Ponce-Villalobos, Jacey Bales; (middle) Betty Abbey, Danyelle Seurer, Jaqueline Parker, Sydnie Lowe;  (front) Clara O'Connor, Katelyn Cutsinger.

Resident Assistants in Coronado Hall

Resident Assistants in Coronado Hall include: (left to right back row) Cedric Collinge, Hayden Graham, J.C. Wells, Jacob Boggess; (front) Patrick Inkpen, Aaron Pierce, Alec Monsees, Sterlin Broomfield.

Resident Assistants in Fryer Hall

Resident Assistants in Fryer Hall include: (left to right) Lachelle Purrier, McKenzie Billy, Carly Geer, Derek Blow, Bailey Cook, Tobi-Rae Barker.

Resident Assistants in Ament Hall

Resident Assistants in Ament Hall include: (left to right) Habib Kamara, Zack Short, Shane Collins, Matthew Goertzen, Luis Reyes.


Work for Student Housing

If you are interested in working at Northwestern as a resident assistant (RA) in any of the student housing options, please apply using the Resident Assistant Application form.

Resident Assistant Responsibilities:
Resident Assistant responsibilities are numerous as the RA is the focal point for the day-to-day operation of his/her floor.  The RA is at one time: student, community developer, referral agent, business manager, peer, friend, and disciplinarian.  The diversity of roles and responsibilities is challenging and calls on the RA to develop organizational and interpersonal skills.  The position of RA provides an opportunity to maximize self-development, maturity, and confidence during the college years.

Northwestern Oklahoma State University

709 Oklahoma Blvd., Alva, OK 73717
Phone: (580) 327-1700

© 2008-2017 Northwestern Oklahoma State
University. All Rights Reserved.

Mission Statement

Northwestern Oklahoma State University provides quality educational and cultural opportunities to learners with diverse needs by cultivating ethical leadership and service, critical thinking and fiscal responsibility.

Proud Member of RUSO