Alpha Nu Psi Chapter of Sigma Tau Delta
Sigma Tau Delta is an international English Honors Society founded in 1924. Sigma strives to:
- Confer distinction for high achievement in English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, & professional studies
- Provide through local chapters cultural stimulation on college campuses and promote interest in literature and the English language
- Foster all aspects of the discipline of English, including literature, language, and writing
- Promote exemplary character and good fellowship among its members
- Exhibit high standards of academic excellence
- Serve society by fostering literacy
Chapters are located in Europe, the Caribbean, and the United States; there are approximately 8,500 members inducted annually.
Become A Member
Undergraduate candidates must:
- Have completed at least three semesters of college work
- Have completed at least two college courses in English beyond the usual freshman requirements
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA in English courses
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA in general scholarship
Awards & Scholarships
Sigma commits thousands of dollars each year to awards and scholarships for members and chapters. For information about scholarships available through the national branch, see Sigma Tau Delta.
Club Events and Service
Alpha Nu Psi is proud to offer many fun opportunities for its members to promote the discipline of English to the Northwestern community. Each fall, Sigma hosts a banned book reading that coincides with Halloween. At this masquerade event, students and faculty are encouraged to read passages from books that have been banned or challenged at a variety of institutions in order to bring more awareness to issues of censorship and intellectual freedom. Sigmas also meet for film and book discussions, ice cream socials, and events within the community.
Sigma Tau Delta considers community service an integral part of its mission. Members have become involved in a number of service projects, including adult literacy programs, book collections for the needy, recycling, and volunteer activities in support of university-sponsored special events. Recently, we have completed bake sales and other fundraisers to help pay for club trips and activities.