School of Arts & Sciences
Communication Department Faculty
Tamara Brown, Chair
Communication Department Chair, Assistant Professor of Speech Communication
- Office: VH110
- Phone: 580-327-8429
- Fax: 580-327-8185
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postgraduate Work, Oklahoma State University
- M.S., May 1993, University of Oklahoma
- B.S., May 1991, Northwestern Oklahoma State University
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES
- Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech Language Pathology from the American Speech, Language and Hearing Association
- Oklahoma State License to Practice Speech Language Pathology from the Oklahoma Board of Examiners for Speech Language Pathology and Audiology
- Brown joined the faculty of Northwestern in August of 1998.
COURSES TYPICALLY TAUGHT
- SCOM 1113 Introduction to Speech Communication
- SCOM 1014 American Sign Language
- SCOM 2763 Voice and Phonetics
- SCOM 3113 Advanced Speech Communication
- SCOM 3133 Interpersonal Communication
- SCOM 3213 Business and Professional Communication
- SCOM 3613 Small Group Communication
- SCOM 4023 Nonverbal Communication
- John Barton Award for Distinguished Teaching and Service, 2005-2006
- John Sheffield Teacher of the Year, 2004-2005
- Named Chair of Communication Department, July 2005
- Hired as Instructor of Speech at NWOSU, August 1998
- Husband, Scott
- Children, Megan and Colton
Dr. Kaylene Armstrong
Associate Professor of Mass Communication
Northwestern News & RangerPulse.com Adviser
- Office: Jesse Dunn Annex 232
- Phone: 580-327-8481
- Email: email@example.com
- Ph.D. in journalism history, December 2015, University of Southern Mississippi
- M.S. in communication, December 1997, Utah State University
- B.A. in communication, April 1976, Brigham Young University
COURSES TYPICALLY TAUGHT
- MCOM 2113 News Reporting
- MCOM 3103 News Editing
- MCOM 3203 Media Photography
- MCOM 3222 Feature Writing (Advanced Reporting)
- MCOM 3363 Multimedia Journalism
- MCOM 3541 Print and Online Practicum
- MCOM 4103 Publication Design and Production
- MCOM 4213 Mass Communication Law & Ethics
- Spent 20 years as a reporter and editor at four daily newspapers.
- First female city editor at The Daily Herald in Provo, Utah.
- Adviser to four student newspapers.
- Author of How Student Journalists Report Campus Unrest, published in January 2018 (Lexington Books).
- Member of American Journalism Historians Association and College Media Association.
- Media history
- Grammar nerd!
- Married to retired chiropractor Robert J. Armstrong, the other Dr. Armstrong
- Five daughters, 12 grandchildren and one great-granddaughter
Dr. Adriana Jacob Carneiro
Assistant Professor of Mass Communication
Adviser for Ranger Communication
- Office: Jesse Dunn Annex 234
- Phone: 580-327-8456
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Doctorate in culture and society, August 2019, Federal University of Bahia
- Visiting Scholar in political science, 2017, Oklahoma State University
- M.S. in culture and society, May 2001, Federal University of Bahia
- B.A. in communication, September 2001, Federal University of Bahia
COURSES TYPICALLY TAUGHT
- MCOM 3053 Principles of Advertising & Marketing
- MCOM 3463 Introduction to Strategic Communication
- MCOM 3521 Strategic Communication Practicum
- MCOM 3833 Strategic Communication Writing
- MCOM 4123 Advanced Strategic Communication
- Recipient of the Institutional Sandwich Doctoral Program from the Capes Foundation (Department of Education of Brazil) in 2017 at Oklahoma State University.
- Communication Manager of the Secretariat of Culture of the State of Bahia - Brazil (2013-2016).
- Communications Director of the public relations agency Frente & Verso Comunicação Integrada (2006-2017).
- Special reporter of Correio da Bahia Newspaper (2002-2006).
- Award winner, CONFEA 70 Years of Press Journalism Award. Federal Council of Engineering, Architecture and Agronomy of Brazil (2004).
- Best reporting award, Associação Bahiana de Imprensa (Press Association of Bahia). January 2005, August 2004, March 2003, September 2003, August 2002.
- “Gender Tensions: The humorous character of Dilma Bolada” (with Farida Jalalzai). 2022. International Journal of Media & Cultural Politics, 17:3, 263-289.
- “Violence against Women in Politics.” 2018. Website of the Inter-American Commission of Women of the Organization of American States.
- Busca Vida – Um Mar de Histórias (Busca Vida: A Sea of stories). 2015. Salvador: Barro de Chão, 2015. 300 p. Non-fiction book about Busca Vida Beach, from its first inhabitants, the native indigenous people, to the present day.
- “As mulheres do 8 de março” (The Women of the March 8th). 2014. In: Miradas: Gênero, Cultura e Mídia. Edited by Linda Rubim. Salvador: Edufba. 23-42.
- “Origens do Dia Internacional da Mulher” (Origins of the International Women’s Day). Jornal Folha de S. Paulo. 3/8/2011.
- Media, culture, women, and politics
- Travel around the world
- Married to Juan and mother of Julia
- Family members in Brazil, Spain, France, and Colombia