Photos for the Friday show may be delivered to the Student Center Ranger Room, on the campus of Northwestern Oklahoma State University, between 4 and 6 p.m. All photos must be in place no later than 6 to prepare for the 7 p.m. Photography Show start. The show will be open from 7 to 9 p.m. Two workshops will start at 8 p.m.
Friday, July 26, Workshops
- 8 p.m. - Quick! Get It in Focus with Brody Schmidt
This session will be a how-to guide for focusing on subjects. We will cover examples of common real-world scenarios where simple techniques can make you feel more confident about your photo. We will touch on depth-of-field, auto-focus types, locking focus, and focus points.
- 8 p.m. - Adobe WHAT? with Kayla Waldrop
This discussion will help you decipher what program is right for you. We will explore Photoshop, Photoshop Elements and Lightroom 5. You will see software comparisons, tips and tricks and there will be time for Q&A.
Saturday, July 27 ~ Photography Workshops
Registration begins at 8 a.m. with a welcome and announcements at 8:30 a.m. If you have already registered when bringing photos in for display on Friday, all you will need to do is check in.
9:00 to 10:30 a.m. (CHOOSE ONE):
- Tips for Better Photos with Kayla Waldrop
- Tips for Better Photos with Kayte Anton
- Busy, Busy...When the Subject Won't Stand Still -- Brody Schmidt
Kayla and Kayte will provide similar information, but it won't be identical. Feel free to move about the groups to hear a little from all of them.
Brody's session will cover being prepared for the inevitable flurry of activity you encounter, and how to get that perfect photo out of the chaos of everyday life. Session will include planning, techniques primarily focused on SLR cameras, but many of the tips will translate to any camera or situation.
Photo Assignment 10:45 to 12:45 p.m.
Group Photo prior to leaving to complete Photo Assignment, 10:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Grab a quick lunch, bring it back to the Student Center if you want. Determine the 3 photos you want in the slide show, download, provide photos to PMW committee member via jump drive or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please consider providing several of your photos for the committee to use for other marketing purposes, and any snapshots you get during the day.
Roundtable Photography Discussion 1 to 2:15 p.m.
Three areas of photography discussion on numerous topics posed by the participants will take place while the last people are getting their photos chosen and downloaded. Downloading should be completed prior to the start of the 2:30 p.m. session.
2:30 to 3:30 p.m. (CHOOSE ONE):
- Composition with Ken Kelsey
- Gadgets: From Flashes to pocket wizards to remote control and cable release to lenses & more with Kayla Waldrop
- Posing People - Individuals, Families, Friends, Large Groups, etc. with Kayte Anton
3:40 to 4:40 p.m. (CHOOSE ONE):
- Photos as Fine Art with Ken Kelsey and Andrew Lauffer
- Lightroom with Kayla Waldrop: Session will delve deeper into the Lightroom software
- It's All About the Glass with Brody Schmidt: A very basic introduction to camera lenses, and the voodoo behind the prices. The session will touch on how to select a lens for your situation and budget. We will briefly highlight recommendations for purchasing used and new lenses.
5 p.m. (ish) -- Finale at Graceful Arts Center, downtown Alva
- Everyone will leave the Student Center and go to the Graceful Arts Center to view the Photography Show that currently is on display.
- Following that viewing, everyone will gather in the back of the Center for an Open Photography Topic Q&A, and comments
- Wrap-up of day's events including announcement of winners of Photography Show
- Slide Show Finale
Please grab your matted photos from the panels in the Student Center BEFORE leaving for the Graceful Arts Center. Getting to the Graceful Arts Center will be a little inconvenient this year because we had to change our location at the last minute, but we feel it's important to provide you a glimpse into our gallery and share what is available to you if you'd like to display your art at some point.