In an effort to improve access to higher education in northwest Oklahoma, the Oklahoma Legislature in 1996 authorized the establishment of a Woodward Campus of Northwestern Oklahoma State University. Since in its creation in 1996, enrollment at Northwestern-Woodward has grown from just over 100 students to more than 200. In May of 2002, Northwestern-Woodward relocatioed its campus to the second floor of the First American Bank building at 2220 Oklahoma Avenue. Northwestern also offeres classes at Woodward High School. Local legislators have earmarked $1.8 million for the construction of a permanent campus site. Ground was broken on the site of the new campus building at 2007 34th Street on November 8, 2006. On September 24, 2008 Northwestern Oklahoma State University officially dedicated the new Woodward Campus building.
March 31, 2005
Governor Brad Henry signs into law House Bill 1191, a $475 million capital bond improvement package for higher education that includes major funding for a Northwestern campus in Woodward.
November 11, 2005
Northwestern announces the site for its new campus, a 40-acre tract of land on 34th Street.
October 6, 2006
Plans for the new campus are announced, a nearly 20,000 square foot building designed by Easley Associates.
November 8, 2006
A ceremony to break ground on the new campus is held at the construction site.
January 10, 2007
Kline Mechanical of Woodward is awarded a $3 million contract for construction of the new Woodward Campus.
August 18, 2008
Northwestern begins fall semester classes in the new campus building.
September 24, 2008
Northwestern officially dedicates new campus building.
MISSION STATEMENT: Northwestern Oklahoma State University provides quality educational and cultural opportunities to learners with diverse needs by cultivating ethical leadership and service, critical thinking and fiscal responsibility.