January 15, 2010
Three Northwestern Oklahoma State University students will become charter members of Sigma Delta Pi, the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society, during induction ceremonies Friday, Jan. 22, at 5:30 p.m. in Vinson Hall 200.
Rolando Noda, West Palm Beach, Calif., senior; Hilario Trejo, Mexico City, Mexico, senior; and Francis V. Martinez, Alva senior, will become members of Northwestern’s new local chapter, Psi Sigma 568. Dr. Francisco Martinez, assistant professor of Spanish, will serve as the sponsor. Dr. Erik Ekman from the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures at Oklahoma State University will be in attendance to install Northwestern’s new chapter and members. A reception for those interested in attending will take place following the ceremony.
Sigma Delta Pi is the only honor society devoted exclusively to students of Spanish in four-year colleges and universities and is the largest foreign-language honor society in existence.
To be considered for membership, students must meet the following requirements:
- They must have completed at least three years, or the equivalent, of college Spanish, including at least three semester hours of a third-year course in Hispanic literature or Hispanic culture and civilization. Those students enrolled in these courses are eligible for membership if the instructor will certify that their work is a B quality or better;
- Their grades in all Spanish courses must average at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale;
- They must rank in the upper 35 percent of their class (sophomore, junior, senior);
- They must have completed at least three semesters or five quarters of college work;
- They must show genuine interest in things Hispanic and be of good moral character.
Membership benefits include access to the society’s scholarship program for summer study in Spain, Mexico, Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia and research grants for graduate students. Members also are eligible to receive various awards, as well as have access to free and exclusive career services and professional networking.
For more information about the honor society or about Northwestern’s foreign language program, contact Martinez at (580) 327-8466 or email@example.com.
Fri, January 15, 2010
by Valarie Case filed under