How does SL/CE benefit students?
- Students involved in service learning and civic engagement generally have higher grade point averages than students who choose not to participate.
- Service learning increases retention of course's subject matter and decreases student drop rates.
- Service learning strengthens analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Students have the opportunity to gain real world experience while learning their coursework and building their resumes.
- Students can become involved in assisting with an issue that is affecting their community.
- SL/CE teaches citizenship and social responsibility skills that can last a lifetime.
- Students participating in a service learning designated course or a club/organization contributing hours towards a civic engagement project/event are eligible to be nominated for The deSERVING Ranger Award presented by certificate each spring semester.