Platform Issue Statement
Please remember. This is your opportunity to explain to the judges what your chosen platform is and why it is important for the Miss Oklahoma and Miss America Organizations to embrace this platform. In addition, it should explain how your platform will further the Miss America Organization "brand" to the public.
This ONE (1) page, single-spaced document, combined with the Contestant’s Resume, will comprise your entire application for this job.
The judges will receive exactly what is submitted. Any items submitted that do not fit the established criteria will be returned for correction only once. Any items that do not meet the criteria or are submitted after the deadline will not be given to the judges. If your Platform Statement arrives on the day of the deadline but does not meet the criteria, there will not be time for you to correct it; therefore, it will not be given to the judges.
The contestant may explain the lack of judging material during her interview, if she so chooses.
1. Go to the word processing program of your computer.
2. Start a “new” document
3. Set margins for 1” on all four sides. You may use the font style of your choice. It may not be any smaller that “10” point and no larger that “12” point type using the Times New Roman font style, only! Remember, depending on the font size chosen, the number of times you should hit the tab bar will change. Please refer to the attached sample to verify you are following the requested format.
4. With the justification set for left, type “Name:” in bold. Following the colon (:), hit the space bar twice. Then, type your name as you wish the judges to know it. (If your name is LaCricia Shawntel Smith and you want to be know as “Shawntel Smith” , please type “Shawntel Smith”.)
5. Then, move to the next line and type “Title:” in bold. Following the colon (:), hit the space bar twice. Then, type the name of the Pageant you are competing in.
6. Double space down. Set your justification to “center”. Then type in bold and underline the title of your Platform.
7. Double space down. Write what you feel is critical for the judges to know about your platform and why it is necessary for you to have the job of Miss Northwestern to promote this issue. What you write will be what the judges know about your platform, your role in successfully dealing with this issue, and the role the Miss Oklahoma/Miss America Organization may play in your plan.
8. This essay may include some of the following items (this is not meant to be an exhaustive list):
- A clear definition of the platform and the specific issues you wish to address
- A plan on how you have or will create awareness of the platform
- The way in which you have or will change attitudes regarding this issue
- The way in which you have or will change behaviors related to this issue
- The way in which your platform issue will move the Miss America Organization forward
- Your media plans
- Your marketing strategy
- How you propose to fund you ideas/plans
- Any significant accomplishments you have made in regard to your issue
9. At the bottom of the page, you MUST set the justification to the right. Type a line of 26 spaces. Below that line, you must type Signature/Date. Once you have printed the document, you must sign and date the document.
Due Date is Friday, August 23, 2013. The original platform statement must be submitted to the pageant director by 4:00 p.m. on the 23rd. Further, it must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Would you like to see an example? Click here!