Picture My Weekend 2013
Photography Show and Workshop
Friday, July 26, 2013 ~ Photography Show, 7 to 9 p.m
Friday, July 26, 2013 ~ Two evening workshops to start at 8 p.m.
Saturday, July 27, 2013 ~ Photography Workshop, 8:30 a.m.
2013 PMW Registration Form!
Change of Location!
Student Center on the campus of Northwestern Oklahoma State University. For a campus map, visit www.nwosu.edu/visit-northwestern.
Link to Slideshows of photos taken by
Picture My Weekend participants
More info on a NEW and EXCITING addition to our event this year! We'll have a Photobooth!
This event is FREE and open to anyone interested in photography. DONATIONS ARE ACCEPTED and ARE ENCOURAGED, to help offset expenses! It is organized by members of the Northwestern Creativity Project committee.
Workshop sessions are for photographers of all ages and all skill levels. Students younger than 13 must be accompanied by an adult, parent, guardian, or sponsor.
Workshop participants are expected to participate in the photography show Friday evening. Similarly, photographers who show their work are expected to participate in the workshops.
Participants are asked to bring as many as FOUR photographs for the show.
This year's special photo for the exhibit is TREES! Completely up to you on how you depict TREES, but think about creativity, angles, composition, lighting, proximity, etc. Please make one of your four photos fit this special category. Something to think about as you take your photos of trees. If you take photos in Oklahoma, you can enter them in a Photography Contest in Norman.
Here are some quick facts about their contest: the deadline for entries is November 4; the juried show hangs for a month at First Fidelity Bank in downtown Norman; there is a reception for the public on the first Friday in December; there are cash prizes in 4 categories; entry fee is $25 for 3 entries; entries must be framed and ready to be hung (wire on back). Watch this link for details as they get their entry form and information set: http://normanparkfoundation.com/index_files/Page437.htm
Photos should be matted or mounted only - no frames - ready to hang*, with the photographer's name in the upper right corner of the back side of the mat. Set-up at the Student Center Ranger Room starts at 4 p.m. and must be completed by 6 p.m. Friday, July 26, in order to participate in the show and workshop.
- * All matted/mounted art must have the "hook" portion of a "hook and loop fastener" attached to the back of the mat board, one in each corner, for quick placement on the panels.
- All photos in show must be at least 5x7 in size before matting.
- All participants in the show must provide a name card for EACH photo that includes your name, what town you are from, and the name of your photograph. We request that you use the Photo Name Card Word Document Template that has been created and provided here for you so all name cards will appear the same. Please fill out the information on the name cards for each photo you bring to the show, print them out in color, trim, place "hook" portion on back and bring with you.
- Photos must remain in place during the workshop on Saturday, and may be removed before you leave.
Registration for the Photography Show and Workshop is limited to the first 60 people.
You now have until Thursday, July 25, to register for free!
Registration is free of charge if you meet the early registration deadline of Tuesday, July 23.
Registration AFTER July 23, including day of event provided space is still available, will be $25.
Area Motels, B&Bs, etc., tend to fill up early, so please register early with them if staying over.
Lodging & Dining in Alva
RESOURCES FOR THE DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHER (tons of links!)
2013 Photography Show and Workshop Schedule
We've packed a ton of things into our Friday and Saturday event. We hope you like what you see!
Friday, July 26 ~ Photography Show and Reception
- Photos for show may be hung on panels 4 to 6 p.m.
- Reception for public and participants, 7 to 9 p.m.
- Two sessions offered Friday Night upstairs
Friday, July 26, Workshops
- 8 p.m. - Quick! Get It in Focus with Brody Schmidt
This session will be a how-to guide for focusing on subjects. We will cover examples of common real-world scenarios where simple techniques can make you feel more confident about your photo. We will touch on depth-of-field, auto-focus types, locking focus, and focus points.
- 8 p.m. - Adobe WHAT? with Kayla Waldrop
This discussion will help you decipher what program is right for you. We will explore Photoshop, Photoshop Elements and Lightroom 5. You will see software comparisons, tips and tricks and there will be time for Q&A.
Saturday, July 27 ~ Photography Workshops
Registration begins at 8 a.m. with a welcome and announcements at 8:30 a.m. If you have already registered when bringing photos in for display on Friday, all you will need to do is check in.
9:00 to 10:30 a.m. (CHOOSE ONE):
- Tips for Better Photos with Kayla Waldrop
- Tips for Better Photos with Kayte Anton
- Busy, Busy...When the Subject Won't Stand Still -- Brody Schmidt
Kayla and Kayte will provide similar information, but it won't be identical. Feel free to move about the groups to hear a little from all of them.
Brody's session will cover being prepared for the inevitable flurry of activity you encounter, and how to get that perfect photo out of the chaos of everyday life. Session will include planning, techniques primarily focused on SLR cameras, but many of the tips will translate to any camera or situation.
Photo Assignment 10:45 to 12:45 p.m.
Group Photo prior to leaving to complete Photo Assignment, 10:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Grab a quick lunch, bring it back to the Student Center if you want. Determine the 3 photos you want in the slide show, download, provide photos to PMW committee member via jump drive or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please consider providing several of your photos for the committee to use for other marketing purposes, and any snapshots you get during the day.
Roundtable Photography Discussion 1 to 2:15 p.m.
Three areas of photography discussion on numerous topics posed by the participants will take place while the last people are getting their photos chosen and downloaded. Downloading should be completed prior to the start of the 2:30 p.m. session.
2:30 to 3:30 p.m. (CHOOSE ONE):
- Composition with Ken Kelsey
- Gadgets: From Flashes to pocket wizards to remote control and cable release to lenses & more with Kayla Waldrop
- Posing People - Individuals, Families, Friends, Large Groups, etc. with Kayte Anton
3:40 to 4:40 p.m. (CHOOSE ONE):
- Photos as Fine Art with Ken Kelsey and Andrew Lauffer
- Lightroom with Kayla Waldrop: Session will delve deeper into the Lightroom software
- It's All About the Glass with Brody Schmidt: A very basic introduction to camera lenses, and the voodoo behind the prices. The session will touch on how to select a lens for your situation and budget. We will briefly highlight recommendations for purchasing used and new lenses.
5 p.m. (ish) -- Finale at Graceful Arts Center, downtown Alva
- Everyone will leave the Student Center and go to the Graceful Arts Center to view the Photography Show that currently is on display.
- Following that viewing, everyone will gather in the back of the Center for an Open Photography Topic Q&A, and comments
- Wrap-up of day's events including announcement of winners of Photography Show
- Slide Show Finale
Please grab your matted photos from the panels in the Student Center BEFORE leaving for the Graceful Arts Center. Getting to the Graceful Arts Center will be a little inconvenient this year because we had to change our location at the last minute, but we feel it's important to provide you a glimpse into our gallery and share what is available to you if you'd like to display your art at some point.