Picture My Weekend 2012
Photography Show and Workshop
Friday, July 27, 2012 ~ Photography Show, 7 to 9 p.m
Friday, July 27, 2012 ~ Two evening workshops to start at 8 p.m.
Saturday, July 28, 2012 ~ Photography Workshop, 8:30 a.m.
2012 PMW Registration Form
At Alva's historic
NE corner of the downtown square
Link to Slideshows of photos taken by
Picture My Weekend participants
This event is FREE and open to anyone interested in photography. DONATIONS ARE ACCEPTED and ARE ENCOURAGED, to help offset expenses! It is organized by members of the Northwestern Creativity Project committee.
Workshop sessions are for photographers of all ages and all skill levels. Students younger than 13 must be accompanied by an adult, parent, guardian, or sponsor.
Workshop participants are expected to participate in the photography show Friday evening. Similarly, photographers who show their work are expected to participate in the workshops.
Participants are asked to bring as many as FOUR photographs for the show. The theme for this year's event is "My Town." We'd like for ONE of the photos you bring to show Friday night to be something that creatively showcases your hometown and/or city you currently live in. It could be anything from events, people, buildings, countryside, colors – whatever to give a feel of your town. All of the "themed" photos will be hung together in a display.Your other three photos can be of anything.
Photos should be matted or mounted only - no frames - ready to hang*, with the photographer's name in the upper right corner of the back side of the mat. Set-up at the Runnymede must be completed by 6 p.m. Friday, July 27, in order to participate in the show and workshop.
- * All matted/mounted art must have the "hook" portion of a "hook and loop fastener" attached to the back of the mat board, one in each corner, for quick placement on the panels.
- All photos in show must be at least 5x7 in size before matting.
- All participants in the show must provide a name card for EACH photo that includes your name, what town you are from, and the name of your photograph. We request that you use the Photo Name Card Word Document Template that has been created and provided here for you so all name cards will appear the same. Please fill out the information on the name cards for each photo you bring to the show, print them out in color, trim, place "hook" portion on back and bring with you.
- Photos must remain in place during the workshop on Saturday, and may be removed before you leave.
Registration for the Photography Show and Workshop is limited to the first 60 people.
Registration is free of charge if you meet the early registration deadline of Tuesday, July 24.
Registration AFTER July 24, including day of event provided space is still available, will be $20.
Area Motels, B&Bs, etc., tend to fill up early, so please register early with them if staying over.
Lodging & Dining in Alva
RESOURCES FOR THE DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHER (tons of links!)
2012 Photography Show and Workshop Schedule
We've packed a ton of things into our Friday and Saturday event. We hope you like what you see! Register at www.nwosu.edu/photog-registration.
Friday, July 27 ~ Photography Show and Reception
- Reception for public and participants, 7 to 9 p.m.. (Refreshments courtesy the "Nescatunga Ladies")
- Two sessions offered Friday Night upstairs
- 8 p.m. - Composition/Still Life with Jeramie Heldermon OR
- 8 p.m. - Lightning/Storm/Night Photography with Mark Nault
Saturday, July 28 ~ Photography Workshops
(Register for Workshop Sessions at www.nwosu.edu/photog-registration)
- Photography Workshops
* Check-in 8:00 a.m.
* Greeting 8:30 a.m.
* Session 1, 9:00 to 10:20 a.m. (CHOOSE ONE):
- DSLR Cameras: Aperture, Film Speed, Shutter and More: Why Does It Matter? with Jeramie Heldermon, Brody Schmidt and Mark Nault
- Point & Shoot Cameras: Aperture, Film Speed, Shutter and More: Why Does It Matter? with Kayla Waldrop and Kayte Anton
* Session 2, 10:30 to 11:20 a.m. (CHOOSE ONE)
- Composition with Ken Kelsey
- Natural Light Portraits with Kayte Anton
- Lighting: On & Off Camera Flash (using reflectors, bouncing flash/light, battery packs, etc.) with Brody Schmidt and Kayla Waldrop
LUNCH (workshop photo assignment and downloading of assignment to be finished during lunch break), 11:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. Please be finished with downloading your TOP THREE PHOTOS before 1:30 p.m. session begins.
Informal photography discussion is encouraged while waiting for next sessions to begin
* Session 3, 1:30 to 2:20 p.m. (CHOOSE ONE):
- Epic Photo Failures from DSLRs with Brody Schmidt (participants may send in ONE bad photo for possible critique - not all photos submitted may be picked because of time. Email digital photo file no larger than 2mb to Brody at firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Epic Photo Failures from Point and Shoot cameras with Kayte Anton (participants may send in ONE bad photo for possible critique - not all photos submitted may be picked because of time. Email digital photo file no larger than 2mb to Kayte at email@example.com )
- Abstract Photography with Jeramie Heldermon. Anyone who would like to send in abstract images for the participants to guess what it is can send to firstname.lastname@example.org with a reference in the subject line to abstract & picture my weekend.
* Session 4, 2:30 to 3:20 p.m. (CHOOSE ONE):
- Do It Yourself (DIY) Photography with Brody Schmidt (explores various ways to create your own camera gadgets and helpful tools for photography)
- Large Groups to Couples: Getting the Best Group Shots with Kayte Anton
- Landscapes & Nature with Jeramie Heldermon
* Session 5, 3:30 to 4:45 p.m. (CHOOSE ONE):
- Panorama Landscapes with Mark Nault
- What Does This Thing Do? An Open Topic with Brody Schmidt and Kayla Waldrop
- Product/Macro Photography with Jeramie Heldermon
* 5 p.m. (ish) -- Finale at Graceful Arts Center
- Everyone will leave the Runnymede and go to the Graceful Arts Center to view the Sandy Flint Photography Show
- Following that viewing, everyone will gather in the back of the Center for an Open Photography Topic Q&A
- Wrap-up of day's events including announcement of winners of Photography Show
- Slide Show Finale
Return to Runnymede to pick up photographs on display.