Overview of Faculty Evaluation @ NWOSU
- Tenured faculty will be evaluated every three years in conjunction with tenure review. The Academic Vice-President will notify tenured faculty when they are scheduled for review.
- Non-Tenured faculty will be evaluated every fall semester and the evaluation should focus on the previous academic year. Faculty to be considered for initial tenure should submit a portfolio based on all years at NWOSU. First-year faculty are exempt from submitting a portfolio, but will have student evaluations done in the fall and should begin developing a portfolio.
- Faculty are required to use the ALCA system for their faculty portfolio. Reviewing and scoring of the portfolios will be done using ALCA.
1) Teaching/Instruction (40-75%)
2) Professional Development (5-25%)
3) Scholarly Activity (5-25%)
4) Institutional Involvement (5-25%)
5) Community Service (5-15%)
- Faculty will be evaluated using three sources:
1) department/division chair
2) peer faculty members
3) students (via online student evaluations from the fall semester)
***selection of peers: 1st peer is chosen by the faculty member; 2nd peer is appointed by the chair from a list of 3-5 names submitted by the faculty member; at least one peer must be from the faculty members department
- The timeline for the faculty evaluation process is as follows:
October 1st: Completed faculty portfolios are due and submitted in ALCA. Department/Division chairs share portfolio with appropriate peer evaluators.
October-November: Peers and Department/Division chairs evaluate faculty portfolios. Scores and comments are submitted online through the ALCA system.
December: Academic Deans add in student evaluation scores; the faculty evaluation summary sheet is completed by the Academic Dean.
January/February: Department/Division chairs meet with faculty to go over the evaluations.