March 31, 2011
Northwestern Oklahoma State University’s annual Assessment Day for all students and employees is scheduled for Wednesday, April 6. Employee workshops, as well as student tests, surveys and workshops, will take place at various times throughout the day.
Assessment Day is held in lieu of Wednesday daytime classes. All night classes that begin at 3:25 p.m. and after that time will take place at their regular times.
“Assessment Day is an opportunity for all students to take an active role in the process of evaluating and improving education at our university,” said Leah Haines, director of assessment and institutional effectiveness.
“If students think something is great, we want to know about it. If there are problems, we want to know about those, too. Student satisfaction results make a big impact on how our faculty and administration work to advance the educational experience of current and future Northwestern students.”
All Northwestern-Alva students are required to register and complete general campus surveys in the Student Center Ballroom anytime between 9 a.m. and noon.
Northwestern-Enid and Northwestern-Woodward students need to register and take surveys specific to their campuses in their respective Commons Areas, also between 9 a.m. and noon.
Employees will have the opportunity to complete a satisfaction survey in the Student Center Ballroom from 1-4 p.m.
Some students, who have been notified by letter, will have the opportunity to evaluate their educational progress through mid-level assessment exams. Graduating seniors will participate in exit interviews and portfolio reviews in their major areas of study. In addition, there will be admission interviews for education students, and graduate students will complete surveys via email.
Students also may attend the following workshops:
• “Coping with test anxiety,” 9:30-10:20 a.m., by Dr. Mark Davis, professor of psychology, in IE 131 in Alva, room 218 in Enid and room 145 in Woodward;
• “Resume Writing,” 10:30-11:20 a.m., by Tammy Brown, Communication Department chair, in IE 131 in Alva, room 218 in Enid and room 145 in Woodward.
Single presentations of the following workshops will be made by Northwestern personnel for faculty:
• “Blackboard Updates are Coming!,” 1:30-2:20 p.m., by Karen Sneary, instructor of business, in IE 131 in Alva, room 218 in Enid and room 145 in Woodward;
• “Live Polling in the Classroom,” 2:30-3:20 p.m., by Dr. Mike Knedler, School of Arts and Sciences dean, and Dr. Jerry Gustafson, professor of business, in IE 129 in Alva, room 220 in Enid and room 147 in Woodward;
• “The iY Generation,” 2:30-3:20 p.m., by Kimberly Weast, associate professor of theatre, in IE 131 in Alva, room 218 in Enid and room 145 in Woodward.
A free lunch will be available to all students and employees from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot east of the tennis courts. Lunch will be served on the Enid and Woodward campuses in the Commons Areas.
Grand prizes will be given away at from 1-1:15 p.m. in Percefull Fieldhouse in Alva, and in the Commons Areas at Northwestern-Enid and Woodward. Students must be present to win. Only students who registered and filled out surveys will be eligible to win the prizes.
For additional information about Assessment Day at Northwestern, contact Haines at (580) 327-8150 or email@example.com or visit www.nwosu.edu/assessment-day-info.
Posted on Thu, March 31, 2011
by Erika Birk filed under