Jesse Dunn Building & Jesse Dunn Annex
The largest classroom building on the campus, Jesse Dunn Building (located on the northeast side of campus), was constructed in 1936-37 on the site of the original campus building, the Castle on the Hill, which burned. The building was dedicated on March 14, 1937, by Eleanor D. Roosevelt. By an Oklahoma Senate Concurrent Resolution, the new classroom building was named for Jesse J. Dunn, former Alva attorney and Oklahoma Supreme Court Justice.
This building was a joint project with the Science Annex (now Carter Hall) and Horace Mann Building (now Joe. J. Struckle Education Center). Cost of the three projects was $545,000, of which $300,000 was in a state appropriation and $245,000 was from the federal government.
In 2007, the Jesse Dunn Building, Carter Hall and the Education Building celebrated 70 years of standing proudly and serving the needs of Northwestern and the area. A special handout about the buildings was prepared for an observance held on Sept. 20, 2007, to celebrate Northwestern's 110th anniversary, the State of Oklahoma's 100th anniversary, and the Fine Arts Building's 100th birthday.
The building has undergone numerous remodelings to different extents. A waterproofing job in 1950 cost $20,000 and roof repair in 1951 cost $10,000. The home economics department was renovated to modernize and re-equip it in 1954. The president's office was moved to that building in 1957 after a $5,176 remodeling job but was relocated in 1963 to Herod Hall.
Further remodeling in Jesse Dunn was authorized in 1966 in a joint project with Carter Hall at a cost of $150,000. That work was completed in 1967-68, revamping old library stack areas and creating computer rooms and new quarters for the museum. Another remodeling came in two phases in 1975-76. Cost of the second phase was $107,573.
Exterior work in 1988 included replacing most of the windows and doors and pointing and cleaning the brickwork. Cost: $71,500. The roof also was repaired at a cost of $18,500. Some interior work, primarily to renovate third floor classrooms, was carried out by the maintenance department in 1988. Material costs were about $6,000.
An annex on the south was completed in 1968 at a cost of $241,000 to house the art department, student publications and public relations offices, and the dean of students' office. The building was part of a $1,327,000 project that included construction of a library addition, a maintenance building and the Physical Education Center andremodeling of Carter Hall and Jesse Dunn Building.
Jesse Dunn underwent another remodel in 1975.
Currently housed here are the academic programs of business, history and global studies, and political science and public administration, agriculture, social work, sociology, social science education and criminal justice, and the mass communication program, which includes its radio, television and print areas. KNSU radio, NWTV-7 and the Northwestern News offices are located on the first level of the Jesse Dunn Annex.
Founded in 1902, the Northwestern Museum of Natural History has grown to include outstanding natural life and historical collections. Located in Jesse Dunn, tours may be arranged by contacting Dr. Stephen Thompson at (580) 327-8566.
The university Printing Services office also is located in Jesse Dunn.