NOTE: The Writing Lab is closed for the summer. Please check back after August 17, 2015. Thank you!
Conditions and Procedures for Online Writing Lab Appointments
1) Send essays to Eng_tutors@nwosu.edu.
2) Tutors need at least 1 hour for written feedback.
3) With written feedback, tutors can review 10 double-spaced pages per hour. If your paper is longer than 10 pages, you need to specify the pages you want the tutor to work on.
4) Tutors are not teachers and will not grade your papers on whether the papers are “good” or “bad.”
5) The tutors can give you tips on grammar or mechanics, and can revise your paper to make ideas more coherent, but they do not just proofread your work.
6) The only file formats that the Writing Lab will only be able to accept are papers in a .DOC or .DOCX format. If you are using a Mac or other type of word processor, you need to format it accordingly.
7) Once the tutor has gone over the document, it will be returned to the students via email in the same format it was submitted; meaning it will be in a .DOC or .DOCX format. The tutor will use the “track changes” format in Word to add comments and suggestions to each students document.
8) The breakdown for how long tutors will need for papers will be as follows:
a. 10 double spaced pages per hour
b. 15 double spaced pages per one and a half hours
c. 20 double spaced pages per two hours
9) You should attach any additional materials that are required for successful completion of the assignment so that the tutors have an opportunity to understand the paper to the best of their ability. The prompt for the essay and the citation style will have to be submitted regardless.
10) If you need to improve your grammar and mechanics, the tutors will focus on patterns of error and highlight them throughout the text to make them easier to identify. The tutors will do their best to explain the issues so you can identify and correct the issues in future essays.
11) Before submitting the essay for an online appointment, students will be required to submit a form that can be found on the English department website under the Writing Lab hyperlink, which specifies what the assignment entails, the documentation style, and what the major concerns are for the essay.
12) Students will be asked to submit written feedback to the tutors with regards to how their concerns were dealt with throughout the paper, and if they feel they might need an additional online appointment, or a face-to-face appointment if the student’s location allows for it.