January 22, 2016
Field experience for social work students from Northwestern Oklahoma State University recently began for the spring semester. Eight senior social work majors entered practicum agencies within northwest Oklahoma to complete 420 contact hours, demonstrate 43 practice behaviors and master the program’s 11 core competencies.
Field experience is the signature pedagogy for social work degree programs, which connects theoretical and conceptual course curriculum with the professional practice setting.
“Practicum students will complete approximately 420 hours in the field giving them an excellent opportunity to practice the skills they have learned throughout the social work program,” said Shelby Hall, director of field education. “They will work to connect theory to real life experience in diverse practicum settings while working with a variety of different populations.”
Listed below are senior students studying field experience, hometown and their practicum agency placements:
· Joby Saint Fleur of Winter Haven, Florida - Bill Johnson Correctional Center (Alva)
· Candace Ong of Garber - Millennium Services (Enid)
· Jynelle Martin of Enid - NorthCare (Enid)
· Chasity McFadden of Waukomis - Department of Human Services (Enid)
· Jennifer Mitchell of Enid - PreventionWorkz (Enid)
· Marcie Sierra of Enid - Millennium Services (Enid)
· Brittany Stewart of Enid - Department of Human Services (Enid)
· Shelby Lamberth of Sharon - Department of Human Services (Woodward)
Each student in field experience is assigned to a field instructor, someone with specific credentials in the agency to reinforce social work ideals, practice behaviors and competencies.
“This program has fantastic field instructors who work closely with the director of field,” Hall said. “These instructors work to provide social works students with a comprehensive experience that aligns closely with social work curriculum.”
For more information about Northwestern’s social work program contact Dr. Kylene Rehder, associate professor of social work and department chair of social work, at (580) 327-8135 or by email at email@example.com.
Posted on Fri, January 22, 2016
by Ali Kirtley filed under