CWPEP Application and Information

Alva / Academics / School of Arts and Sciences / Social Work / CWPEP Application and Information
| More

Child Welfare Professional Enhancement Program

Professional Development Support

The Child Welfare Professional Enhancement Program (CWPEP) offers students the opportunity to make a commitment to serve Oklahoma families and children at risk of abuse and/or neglect.  Applications are available to all undergraduate social work majors who are U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents of the U.S.

This program is funded by the Oklahoma Department of Human Services (OKDHS), Children and Family Services Division, through Title IV-E of the Social Security Act.

Statewide Professional Development Opportunities

Coordinated by the University of Oklahoma School of Social Work, the Child Welfare Professional Enhancement Program is also available to other accredited undergraduate social work programs, including OU at Norman, East Central University at Ada, Oral Roberts University at Tulsa and Northwestern Oklahoma State University at Alva, Enid and Woodward.  These BSW programs and the OU Graduate Program at both the Norman and Tulsa sites work jointly to provide an exciting opportunity for social work majors who desire a career in public child welfare.  Each school awards stipends or pays tuition costs, certain fees and required textbooks up to the total amount of the stipend to a certain number of students each year.

CWPEP is available to Native American tribal employees if the tribe has a Tribal-State Agreement with OKDHS.  Tribal employees are required to work in the tribe's Indian Child Welfare program upon graduation.

Student Requirements

Students accepted into the CW Professional Enhancement Program are required to take child welfare-related classes, to attend the OKDHS CORE Training Program and to have field placements in OKDHS Child Welfare county offices.  Upon completion of the Bachelors degree, Social Workers enter OKDHS employment as Child Welfare Specialists.

Child Welfare Traineeships at Northwestern Oklahoma State University
Awards Given
Up to 3 per year in the BSW program (juniors and seniors)
Funding Base
Title IV-E of the Social Security Act
up to a maximum of $7,876 per year could be awarded
Must be undergraduate social work student, junior level or above.  Must demonstrate, through an application and a written essay a career interest in the field of child welfare and the willingness to be contractually obligated to work for the OKDHS, Child Welfare, for a specified period of time upon completion of degree program.  All applicants are required to have a criminal background check and a driving records check to be considered for the program.  Applicants must be citizens of the United States or legal permanent residents of the U.S.
Contact Information

Dr. Kylene Rehder, LCSW
Social Work Program Director and CWPEP Coordinator
Jesse Dunn 308
(580) 327-8135

Monthly Financial Assistance

  • Students accepted into the program receive monthly stipends or payment is made for tuition, certain fees and required textbooks.
  • Students sign legally binding contracts that require an employment obligation to OKDHS/CW of one calendar year for each academic year of financial assistance or to repay the money expended.
  • Child Welfare employees approved for educational leave by OKDHS may apply to the CWPEP.

Previous NWOSU CWPEP Recipients

 Career Opportunities with OKDHS

OKDHS offers Child Welfare career opportunities throughout the state of Oklahoma. OKDHS works actively to assist BSW and MSW graduates in finding employment.

Application Checklist

CWPEP Application 

BSW Trainee Agreement for Subcontractors  

Traffic Records Check

OSBI Check