Choir participation scholarships range from $400 to $1000 per year, making a significant contribution toward an individual’s annual tuition. Choir awards may be combined with academic or other participation awards up to approximately $5,500 for freshmen and transfer students and $1750 for continuing students. Scholarships above the cost of tuition may be applied to other university costs. Eligibility requirements include enrollment in choir, maintenance of at least a 2.5 grade point average and completion of a minimum of 24 credit hours per year.
Vocal Scholar Awards
There are three competitive awards for vocal majors: The Northwestern Vocal Scholar Award, the Alton and Betty Zimmermann Vocal Scholar Award and the Reichenberger Vocal Scholar Award. These are renewable scholarships in the amount of $1000 per year for four years. These awards are based on competitive auditions and are restricted to vocal music and/or music education majors.
The Northwestern Oklahoma State University Vocal Scholar Award is presented annually to an outstanding incoming freshman singer from Oklahoma who is planning to major in vocal music performance or vocal music education. The award is in the amount of $1,000 and is renewable each year for four years.
Previous Northwestern Vocal Scholars:
- Ryan Wiebener: Alva HS- Alva, OK
- Megan Pruitt: Cimarron HS- Ames, OK
- Kiley Rieger Feely: Burlington HS - Burlington, OK
- Kandee Hookstra: Vici HS - Vici, OK
- Abigail Hunter: Vici HS - Vici, OK
- Kevin Kerr: Conway Springs HS - Conway Springs, KS
- Jillian Bartow: Laverne HS - Laverne, OK
The Alton and Betty Zimmerman Vocal Scholar Award is presented every four years to an outstanding incoming freshman singer who is planning to major in vocal music performance or vocal music education. The award is in the amount of $1,000 and is renewable each year for four years.
Previous Zimmerman Vocal Scholars:
- Cory Kerr: Conway Springs HS- Conway Springs, KS
- Ryan White: Alva HS - Alva OK
- Andrea Petrowsky: Skyline HS - Pratt, KS
The Reichenberger Vocal Scholar Award is presented every four years to an outstanding incoming freshman singer who is planning to major in vocal music performance or vocal music education. The award is in the amount of $1,000 and is renewable each year for four years.
Previous Reichenberger Vocal Scholars:
- Isileli Tu'ifua Siliva Ofiu Jr.: Anchorage, AK (current)
- Ashley Schmitz: Laverne HS- Laverne, OK
- Charity Epperson: Woodward HS - Woodward, OK
- Shaleen Miller: Sapulpa HS - Sapulpa, OK
Eligibility Requirements for Vocal Scholar Awards
- 2.5 Cumulative High School GPA
- 19 ACT score
Application Process for Vocal Scholar Awards
- One or more letters of recommendation from a previous vocal or choral instructor. Six or seven semester high school transcript.
- Completed NWOSU Vocal Scholar Scholarship Application.
- Completed NWOSU Scholarship Application
Selection Process for Vocal Scholar Awards
Applicants will be selected using the following criteria:
- A competitive vocal audition (an accompanist will be provided)
- Three memorized selections of contrasting styles
- At least one selection must be in a foreign language
- Brief vocal technique, tonal memory, and sight-reading examinations
- An interview by the Vocal Scholar committee
Renewal Requirements for Vocal Scholar Awards
- Maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA.
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA in applied vocal studies and choral ensembles.
- Enroll for and successfully complete a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester.
- Be continuously enrolled as a vocal music performance or music education major.
- Successfully complete responsibilities assigned by the Director of Choral & Vocal Studies.