March 30, 2010
Northwestern Oklahoma State University’s annual Assessment Day for all students and employees is scheduled for Wednesday, April 7. Employee workshops, as well as student tests, surveys and workshops, will take place at various times throughout the day.
Assessment Day is held in lieu of Wednesday daytime classes. All night classes after 4 p.m. will take place at their regular times.
“Assessment Day gives students, faculty and staff a voice in determining what works and what needs to be addressed,” said Dr. Katherine Garlough, director of assessment and institutional effectiveness.
All Northwestern-Alva students are required to register and complete general campus surveys in the Student Center Ballroom anytime between 9 a.m. and noon.
Northwestern-Enid and Northwestern-Woodward students need to register and take surveys specific to their campuses in their respective Commons Areas, also between 9 a.m. and noon.
Employees will have the opportunity to complete a satisfaction survey in the Student Center Ballroom from 1-4 p.m.
Some students, who have been notified by letter, will have the opportunity to evaluate their educational progress through mid-level assessment exams. Graduating seniors will participate in exit interviews and portfolio reviews in their major areas of study. In addition, there will be admission interviews for education students, and graduate students will complete surveys via e-mail.
Students also will attend the following workshops:
• “Resume Writing and Basic Interviewing Skills,” 9:30-10:20 a.m., by Yolanda Creswell, career services director, in EC 108 in Alva, room 210 in Enid and room 143 in Woodward;
• “Focus group for pre-medical students,” 10:30-10:50 a.m., by Dr. Pam Garner, Alva physician, in EC 108 in Alva, room 210 in Enid and room 143 in Woodward;
• “Focus group for future educators,” 10:30-10:50 a.m., by Dr. Beverly Warden, associate professor of education, and Greg Lyon, Alva principal; in EC 102 in Alva, room 208 in Enid and room 141 in Woodward;
• “Focus group for future graduate students,” 11-11:30, by Dr. Rod Murrow, associate dean of graduate studies; in EC 108 in Alva, in room 210 in Enid and room 143 in Woodward;
• “Focus group for pre-law,” 11-11:30 a.m., by Jesse Kline, Alva attorney; in EC 102 in Alva, room 208 in Enid and room 141 in Woodward.
Single presentations of the following workshops will be made by Northwestern personnel for employees:
• “You asked for it and we did it: Assessment Outcomes,” 1:30-2:20 p.m., by Garlough, in EC 108 in Alva, room 210 in Enid and room 143 in Woodward;
• “Get Your Game On: Use Smart Board,” 1:30-2:20 p.m., by Dr. Sheila Brintnall, associate professor of mathematics, and Dena Walker, instructor of mathematics, in EC 102 in Alva, room 208 in Enid and room 141 in Woodward;
• “Getting the most out of Excel: Grade Sheets,” 2:30-3:20 p.m., by Dr. Tim Maharry, associate professor of mathematics, in EC 108 in Alva, room 210 in Enid and room 143 in Woodward;
• “Success Stories: Grant Writing at NWOSU,” 2:30-3:20 p.m., by Camille Holt, coordinator of sponsored programs, in EC 102 in Alva, room 208 in Enid and room 141 in Woodward.
Oklahoma State Regent’s for Higher Education representatives Dr. Debbie Blanke and Dr. Gina Wekke will present two faculty keynote sessions. Blanke will speak on “Program Reviews: Faculty Leadership for Improving Program Quality,” at 10-10:50 a.m. and 1:30-2:20 p.m., in Herod Hall auditorium in Alva, room 220 in Enid and room 109 in Woodward. Wekke will present “Service Learning: Enhancing Student Learning and Engaging Communities,” at 11-11:50 a.m. and 2:30-3:20 p.m., in Herod Hall auditorium in Alva, room 220 in Enid and room 109 in Woodward.
A free lunch will be available to all students and employees from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot east of Coronado Cafeteria. In case of bad weather, lunch will be served in Coronado Cafeteria. Lunch will be served on the Enid and Woodward campuses in the Commons Areas.
Grand prizes will be given away at 1 p.m. in Percefull Fieldhouse in Alva, and in the Commons Areas at Northwestern-Enid and Woodward. Students must be present to win. Only students who registered and fill out surveys will be eligible to win the prizes.
For additional information about Assessment Day at Northwestern, please contact Garlough at (580) 327-8150 or at email@example.com, or visit www.nwosu.edu/assessment-day-info.
Posted on Mon, April 5, 2010
by Erika Birk filed under