Students who have been admitted to Northwestern Oklahoma State University may apply for admission to the Social Work major. Students who wish to major in Social Work must make application for admission to the program during the first 15 hours of coursework in Social Work. Students must contact Social Work faculty for advisement and are required to complete Social Work courses in sequence. No student will be allowed to progress in the program beyond 15 hours without an admission application and a plan of study on file in departmental offices. The following are the requirements for full admission to the major:
- Students must have completed SOCW 2113 and SOCW 2121 with a grade of C or better.
- Students must have a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.50 or better for all coursework.
- Admission applications must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on October 17 (Fall) or April 17 (Spring). The admissions application includes:
- Application to the Major & Professional Resume: www.nwosu.edu/social-work-major-application
- Two Letters of Reference: www.nwosu.edu/references (Students are responsible for sending the reference form link to each of their references.) Family and friend references will not be accepted.
Submissions received after the published due date will not be considered. Students may be provisionally admitted to the major if they do not fulfill all admission requirements. Provisional majors are reviewed at the end of each academic term as a condition of continuation in the social work major. Students should be advised an interview may be requested by the admissions committee to clarify information before making an admission determination. The application materials are permanently retained in the student's academic file located in the Department of Social Work. For more information about the admissions process, please refer to the Social Work Student Handbook.