ALVA - The annual Ranger Rodeo presented by the Northwestern Oklahoma State University rodeo team will have its opening performance at 7:30 p.m., Thursday, Nov. 4 at the Woods County Fairgrounds Arena and continue through Saturday, Nov. 6. More than 500 student competitors from 18-24 colleges and universities are expected to participate. The rodeo is a sanctioned event of the Central Plains Region of the National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association.
Northwestern’s men’s rodeo team currently is fourth in the Central Plains Region Standings after three rodeos this season. Numerous cowboys and cowgirls from Northwestern are ranked in the top 15 in the region of each event.
A list of events, student name, grade classification, hometown and ranking in the top 15 are as follows:
• Saddle Bronc Riding: Cody Burkholder, junior, Clarksville, Iowa, 15
• Tie Down Roping: Trey Young, freshman, Dupree, S.D., 2; Clint Kindred, junior, Oral, S.D, 6; Trenton Johnson, senior, Mound City, Kan., 14
• Steer Wrestling: Kody Woodward, senior, Dupree, S.D., 3; Kyle Irwin, junior, Robertsdale, Ala., 4; Trenton Johnson, senior, Mound City, Kan., 14
• Team Roping (header): Chase Boekhaus, freshman, Rolla, Kan., 3; Brett Christensen, junior, Medicine Lodge, Kan., 4; Cole Wilson, senior, Kincaid, Kan., 9; Collin Domer, junior, Topeka, Kan., 11; Travis Cowan, sophomore, Highmore, S.D., 14
• Team Roping (heeler): Dawson McMaster, junior, Alva, Okla., 3; Reagan Ward, senior, Edmond, Okla., 7; Tanner Braden, junior, Dewey, Okla., 8; Kyle Irwin, junior, Robertsdale, Ala., 9
• Barrel Racing: Blayne Kennedy, junior, Cottonwood, S.D., 12; Gabriel Gregg, senior, Highmore, S.D., 13
• Breakaway Roping: Cali Griffin, senior, Orrick, Mo., 2
• Goat Tying: Brooke Boulware, senior, Scott City, Kan., 10; Jade Inlow, senior, Oakley, Kan., 12
Performances start at 7:30 p.m., on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Tickets are $6 for adults and $4 for children. Tickets are being sold by all rodeo team members and by Coach Tim Kolb, who can be reached at (580) 327-8688. They also will be sold at the gate.
Concessions will be served on the grounds and heaters will be on during events if needed.
“Everyone should be really excited about the rodeo because it is a great event for the community,” Kolb said. “Many competitors, along with their families and friends, are in town for at least two days, which really helps boost the community’s economy.”
“Rodeo Days” will be held on the square for Alva’s elementary school children on Thursday from 8:30 a.m. until approximately 2 p.m. Rodeo team members will be on hand to explain the different events and demonstrate some of them.
Ten to 12 contestants in each of the nine collegiate rodeo events will be on center stage during the Thursday and Friday night performances. The top 10 in each event will return for the championship go-round on Saturday night.
The events are saddle bronc riding, bareback riding, bull riding, tie down roping, steer wrestling, team roping, barrel racing, breakaway roping and goat tying. Two sections of the popular bull riding event will be run on Thursday and Friday nights.
The rest of the contestants will appear in the “slack” performances starting at 9 a.m. on both Friday and Saturday. Participation in the performance or slack rounds is decided by random draw.
Special events will occur at each evening performance. On Thursday night, Northwestern students will be admitted for $4 with a current student I.D. card.
Friday will be children’s night and will feature a children’s calf scramble. Several animals will be marked to denote prize winners.
On Saturday night, when event and team winners are determined, there will be a relay race up and down the arena by cowboys and cowgirls representing different schools. However, they will all be on foot—not horseback.
Stock contractors Williams and Long Rodeo Company are providing bulls and bucking horses for events.
Visit www.collegerodeo.com, look in the left column for “Result Standings” and click on Central Plains Region to keep up with Northwestern Rodeo team standings.
For a list of Northwestern rodeo team members visit the rodeo team’s athletic site at www.nwosu.edu/athletics.
2010 Northwestern Oklahoma State University Rodeo promotional poster
Tue, November 2, 2010
by Ryan Hintergardt